[SOLVED] Plugging in my 3rd Monitor disconnects my main display

Apr 14, 2020
I was using 3 of the asus vg248qe monitors for a while all connected with Display Port and it worked fine. The monitor on the right broke recently so I hooked up a old Hanns G monitor until I can replace it, this Hanns G monitor is connected with a DVI cable. It's been working fine for the past couple of weeks and all the sudden ONLY my center monitor lost signal, when I tried to activate it in Nvidia control pannel by checking the little box my whole pc freezes and requires a restart. On the windows display settings I can see the center monitor is showing up but Windows thinks it "isn't active". If I unplug the Hanns G monitor I hear the sound similar to when you plug in a usb device ping, and the center monitor turns back on. The same problem persists after trying to plug it back in again.

I have a Gigabyte 1080ti GPU. Just seems odd that it was working and now it's not.
Any ideas?

Solution
how did the first monitor "break"?
you may have just gotten a bad batch and now this one is currently failing.

with all three monitors(2x DP & 1x DVI) attached check Windows Display Settings and make sure they are setup properly for the 3x display surround setup. possibly Windows is just disabling the center screen thinking you have a dual-screen setup.

the fact that enabling it in NCP would freeze your whole system is odd though. make sure they are all set to run at the same refresh rate.

but, this could also mean that there is an issue with the GPU.
try running DDU and removing all traces of graphical drivers and settings and reinstalling the latest Nvidia driver package with all displays attached.
possibly NCP will recognize the...

with all three monitors(2x DP & 1x DVI) attached check Windows Display Settings and make sure they are setup properly for the 3x display surround setup. possibly Windows is just disabling the center screen thinking you have a dual-screen setup.

the fact that enabling it in NCP would freeze your whole system is odd though. make sure they are all set to run at the same refresh rate.

try running DDU and removing all traces of graphical drivers and settings and reinstalling the latest Nvidia driver package with all displays attached.
possibly NCP will recognize the 3x displays and auto-configure for them to work together.
If I unplug the Hanns G monitor I hear the sound similar to when you plug in a usb device ping
this happens every time i power one of my displays or external hubs on/off. is the usual sound when Windows detects a device.

Solution
Apr 14, 2020

possibly NCP will recognize the 3x displays and auto-configure for them to work together.
this happens every time i power one of my displays or external hubs on/off. is the usual sound when Windows detects a device.

I shot my monitor with an airsoft gun by accident 🤦‍♂️

But your tip with using DDU worked! Thank-you so much! 😃

How do I mark this as solved?

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost