[SOLVED] Plugging LED strips into motherboard ?

erminnz

Commendable
Aug 9, 2021
I've just bought 2 x RGB LED strips for my case, package included one more cables which those strips are hooked up to.
It looks like this (cable):

As I have a motherboard with two 12v rgb headers, my question is can I plug strips directly and seperately in those two headers without using this ''Y'' cable and connecting
both strips in 1 header ? I would prefer to do it that way so as to get rid of one extra cable in the case.

Need to make sure before, will everything work good each way?

Solution
Yes, you can connect two lights trips to separate mobo headers - you do not have to use a Splitter.

HOWEVER, your photo indicates a problem! It shows a picture highlighting a 3-pin Addresable RGB header, but the CABLE shown is for the OTHER system - 4-pin plain RGB. So, whichh type of LIGHTS did you buy, and does your mobo have the correct headers for that? You cannot mix them up.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, you can connect two lights trips to separate mobo headers - you do not have to use a Splitter.

HOWEVER, your photo indicates a problem! It shows a picture highlighting a 3-pin Addresable RGB header, but the CABLE shown is for the OTHER system - 4-pin plain RGB. So, whichh type of LIGHTS did you buy, and does your mobo have the correct headers for that? You cannot mix them up.

Solution

erminnz

Commendable
Aug 9, 2021
I believe it's just an issue with a photo, specifically with a mobo header photo.
Now I checked specification of led strips I bought and this is:

Specifications:
Strip light voltage: DC 12V
Power supply: 4Pin RGB header
Strip length: about 30cm / piece
LED chip type: RGB multi-color
Control mode: software
LED type: 5050 SMD
Lifespan: Over 50,000 hours

Package includes:
2x RGB sync light strips
1x cable

And apart of that, on strip itself it's marked 12V. Also each strip has ending with a female 4 pin connector.
My motherboard is Gigabyte Z590 ud ac, and it has two 12V RGB headers and two 5V addressable headers.