Plugging out USB-devices freezes game and LOCK-LED's on Corsair K55?

xariez

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
Heyyo,

So I've been looking to get a new keyboard for quite some time, and not long ago got the Corsair K55, as it seemed nice, and was well within my budget. While the keyboard has for the most part exceeded far beyond my expectations, it seems as if it causes something very odd to happen and sometimes this is on the keyboard itself.

Whenever I plug out a USB device (2.0 or 3.0, doesn't matter), my NUMLOCK and CAPSLOCK keys freeze. While the functions themselves still work, the LED's doesn't respond at all. And if this wasn't enough, I have also discovered that when I unplug a USB device, if I've got a fullscreen application such as a game open, it completely freezes it, forcing me to bring up the task manager.

I have already asked around on other places, including Corsair support, where I've got a RMA approved (but have not sent anything yet). That said, before I do go ahead and send it over to them, I wanted to check with you guys, if you have anything helpful to add?

I'm running on Windows 10 64-bit with the latest updates (though not the keyboard drivers - as this makes the matter much worse!).

Things that has been tested without any positive result:
- Reinstalled the USB drivers via Windows on device manager
- Installed (and now uninstalled) the Corsair Utility Engine (CUE)
- Tested different USB-ports, 2.0 and 3.0
- Tested hitting "Update firmware" in CUE, where i merely got a error message
- Factory-resetting the keyboard
.. might be missing something, but this should be most of it.

Mind you, i was using a Logitech G110 before, and can't say I noticed any such issues with that keyboard, so something very odd is indeed going on.

Any and all help appreciated!
Thanks!

Regards,
Xariez

Ralston18

Titan
Are you correctly unplugging ("plug out") the USB devices?

Although many people do so by just pulling the plug from the USB port that can have adverse effects.

Check the following links:

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-safely-remove-hardware-windows-so-you-dont-lose-your-data

https://www.maketecheasier.com/the-need-to-safely-remove-usb-devices/

Follow the guidelines for a few days being sure to properly remove/unplug your USB devices.

Post what does or does not happen.

xariez

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013

Heyyo,

While I feel like Windows by now should be able to handle it with Windows 10, I could do what you suggest for the purpose of experimenting. However, the USB i'm looking at right now is a headset charger to a Corsair H2100, which does not appear in the taskbar, so I'm not sure how i would go by to "safely" unplug it.

TRENDING THREADS