[SOLVED] Plugging powersupply into motherboard

gammonGo

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Hi.

The plug from my power supply, from the PCI-E socket to a Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard does not seem to fit.

A little background. I used to go into PCs a little bit many years ago (the very first home PCs). I wanted to do it again, but am completely lost. There are no step-by-step instructions. So anyway...

I'm trying to connect the cable from the power supply (a PowerSpec PS 650BSM). As far as I can tell, the power supply should be plugged into the socket labeled ATX_12V on the picture on page 42 of this document: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b450m-ds3h_e.pdf ( couldn't figure out how to attach a file with the pic) . You can see ATX has 8 sockets arrayed as a 4x2.

The connector from the PS is a split into a 3x2 and 2x1. The 2x1 pins have a small tab which (I think) is getting in the way and preventing me from inserting the cable. (Also, the CPU fan is in the way, but I worked around that by removing the fan at the top of the case.

Am I doing something wrong? How do I make this fit?

Thanks,
Jeff

Solution
6+2 pin is meant for a graphics card and will not fit into your motherboard. Forcing it can cause damage to hardware.

Your PSU will have a 4 or 4+4 pin CPU power connector that plugs into your motherboard.

gammonGo

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Thanks for your answers. The good news is I didn't force it (hard enough to do damage (that I can see)). I thought maybe that 4+4 pin was one of those leftover cables. But it's hardwired onto the PS, so that was probably a really dumb thought. I've connected the 4+4... easily. Here is where I stand
  • I've connected the HDD and SSD data cables.
  • I've connected the 24-pin power cable.
  • I've connected the 8-pin 4+4 power.
So the red-connector PCI-E goes to the video card. I haven't installed that yet, so I'll wait.

The PS has three identical female 3x2 labeled HDD/S-ATA/Floppy. I have three more internal cables (the cable to the power socket is external, and I know what it's for).
  1. Two of the cables are 3x2 males on one end and has three SATA power connectors spaced along the cable and a big, straight 4-pin at the end of the cable.
  2. The last cable is also a 3x2 male one one end and has two of the big, straight 4-pin connectors and then a small, straight 4-pin connector.
What do the big, straight 4-pins connect to and what does the small, straight 4-pin connect to?
Where do the fans connect to?
Did I forget anything?

Thanks.

Edit: Also (minor irritant), one of the S-ATA data cables was an L-shape, while the others were all straight (I don't mean the pins, i mean the plastic housing for the pins). Why is one L-shaped and where does it go? How come it points in the wrong direction?

Last edited: