Plugging previous HDD into new PC

dominic.m.bw

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
Hello,

I am soon to order a new PC that will have its own SSD boot drive with windows 10 installed.
All I want is to plug in my current boot drive (Win 10) 1TB HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA into the new PC and have access to all my data and use the remainder as spare storage.

My question is, will I have simple access to files such as save files for games etc? Also, is there anything I need to do in preparation for the switch or can I just take it out and then plug it in and go?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Check with Steam, they have some utility to transfer their games so they work of another disk or moved/replaced OS without having to download and/or reinstall them altogether.

dominic.m.bw

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017

Thanks! Just wanted to clarify something though - are you saying I have to move my saves across to the SSD boot drive or can I play the games strait from the previous HDD they are installed on? I know if I do this I wouldn't get the fast memory benefit from the SSD for my old games but I don't mind if it makes for an easier transition.

To play games and use any programs already installed on soon to be second drive you will have to reinstall them with an option to be installed on second drive, because when installing, they have to write to registry in windows and also put some files on on C: drive/partition, without which they will not function. When you reinstall them like that, saves will most probably be deleted unless game has an option to keep them.

dominic.m.bw

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017

Ah, I see. So when it comes to saves it looks as though cloud saving may be the easiest (assuming I can get that to work on Steam/GOG) or of course you mentioned installing the games on the new SSD and then moving the saves into the appropriate folders could also work. Thanks again.