Question [PLZ HELP]I pretty much [language] up the fins of my Heatsink

INeedSerotonin

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
xBFbFEP_d.jpg

So i recently bought this cpu cooler (Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim) .The cooler goes only horizontally on AMD systems .I put like a brainlet the retention mechanism downwards so i believed is logical to put the fan upwards . Apparently I was wrong and when I changed the orientation of the fan 2 days after my new tube of thermal paste arrived I saw this horrifying shi*t .To be fair thermals are normal but it looks ugly .Any way to fix this?

Last edited:
I mean, it's a physical problem, only solution is to physically correct it. You can use needle-nose pliers or even a knife if you want to try to straighten them out, but honestly with such little clearance to the other fins you will most likely have to leave it as is or won't get much difference trying to fix it on your own. Normally you'll stop caring about it after 2 weeks or so, so I wouldn't worry that much, as long as your thermals are fine. Just don't be a "brainlet" next time and read the manual.

Reactions: INeedSerotonin

INeedSerotonin

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
I mean, it's a physical problem, only solution is to physically correct it. You can use needle-nose pliers or even a knife if you want to try to straighten them out, but honestly with such little clearance to the other fins you will most likely have to leave it as is or won't get much difference trying to fix it on your own. Normally you'll stop caring about it after 2 weeks or so, so I wouldn't worry that much, as long as your thermals are fine. Just don't be a "brainlet" next time and read the manual.
I wish they mentioned it on the manual .Even a reviewer did the same mistake.

INeedSerotonin

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
Why would they mention something like that in the manual? The simple fix it to just bend them back into correct orientation.

Seems like this would be an obvious choice. I've done this on many coolers that I have reviewed...you just carefully bend them back.
I read in one other post sth about a comp method .would this do the job right?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You seriously need to calm down, primarily that you didn't indicate AT ALL what you are even speaking about. Not going to lie, you would likely be banned by other moderators for acting like this, but first, let me offer some insight.

Your post discusses the bent fins on the cooler heatsink which is apparently about what your thread is meant to be about, correct?

The thread is actually about how you feel there should be some manual about the specific cooler mounting orientation you encountered, which may or may not be limited to very specific installs like yours.

You then proceed to get angry and lash out at people attempting to provide help based on the extremely vague information you provide.

Sound about right?

INeedSerotonin

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
You seriously need to calm down, primarily that you didn't indicate AT ALL what you are even speaking about. Not going to lie, you would likely be banned by other moderators for acting like this, but first, let me offer some insight.

Your post discusses the bent fins on the cooler heatsink which is apparently about what your thread is meant to be about, correct?

The thread is actually about how you feel there should be some manual about the specific cooler mounting orientation you encountered, which may or may not be limited to very specific installs like yours.

You then proceed to get angry and lash out at people attempting to provide help based on the extremely vague information you provide.

Sound about right?
1/we were talking for tha fan . Specifically that nowhere they said in their manual that you can't put the fan upwards (something other coolers I've used let you do)
2/Speaking with Capped letters doesn't mean I have toxic behavior .If you are that sensitive that I wrote with caps while I was in the bus ..well sorry ig
3/i kinda fixed it and it's not that noticeable .I just need to use a canister of compressed air to make it look as good as new .

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
  1. What you are saying still does not make sense to me, and I install dozens of air coolers every year.
  2. It isn't the all caps, it is the tone and cadence of your grammar.
  3. Canned air to re-bend the cooling fins?

Sorry, but really difficult to follow your entire train of thought in this thread. A lot of jumping around and a lot of contradictions/confusion of terms.

We have whats known as a stacking fin press at work to correct such issues. Provided only the edges are messes up. You insert the tool which resembles a fork with thick tynes in between the fin stacks. You then secure the other side and sweep from the begining of the damage to the end. The fins are also heated to make them more maliable. Think of it like using a comb on your hair.

Doesn't always work. But when you are trying to salvage a $50,000 all copper coil, its worth a shot.