Question PNY 500Gb SSD that I can not clean

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike5652

Honorable
Dec 11, 2017
Good day folks. I hope someone a lot smarter than I can figure out what I have.
Basic info, brand new PNY 512Gb Sata SSD. First install with W7 no issues, Seemed to run grate.
Testing software installed and then upgrading to Windows 10. Windows 10 tossed an error that I didn't write down.
Didn't think much of it. Tried again and then W10 complained of unable to verify license, no big deal, testing further wasn't needed so I decide to clean the drive and just install windows 10
Cleaned it on my work station using diskpart. Seemed to work as no issue was shown. W10 disk manger showed no partitions
Slapped it back into the PC and Low and behold freaking windows 7 loaded up like I never changed anything. WTH
So I tried another avenue and that was to delete the partitions using Paragon portable boot. Paragon throws errors that it can not verify deleting partition.
Windows 10 setup sees the two partitions on the drive but even though it appears to allow me to delete the partitions again they just simply stay in place.
It's as if there is some freaking magic lock on these two partitions.
I give up. for the moment I'm back on a Mechanical drive to get some work done.

Any ideas, other boot tools that I might be able to really clean this drive? I didn't find anything on the PNY web site.

If no one has a fix here I'll just return the drive and let PNY deal with it. I hate doing that but maybe cut my losses short.

Thanks to any and all.

MIke R

Good day folks. I hope someone a lot smarter than I can figure out what I have.
Basic info, brand new PNY 512Gb Sata SSD. First install with W7 no issues, Seemed to run grate.
Testing software installed and then upgrading to Windows 10. Windows 10 tossed an error that I didn't write down.
Didn't think much of it. Tried again and then W10 complained of unable to verify license, no big deal, testing further wasn't needed so I decide to clean the drive and just install windows 10
Cleaned it on my work station using diskpart. Seemed to work as no issue was shown. W10 disk manger showed no partitions
Slapped it back into the PC and Low and behold freaking windows 7 loaded up like I never changed anything. WTH
So I tried another avenue and that was to delete the partitions using Paragon portable boot. Paragon throws errors that it can not verify deleting partition.
Windows 10 setup sees the two partitions on the drive but even though it appears to allow me to delete the partitions again they just simply stay in place.
It's as if there is some freaking magic lock on these two partitions.
I give up. for the moment I'm back on a Mechanical drive to get some work done.

Any ideas, other boot tools that I might be able to really clean this drive? I didn't find anything on the PNY web site.

If no one has a fix here I'll just return the drive and let PNY deal with it. I hate doing that but maybe cut my losses short.

Thanks to any and all.

MIke R
I always use Gparted in situations like this. You can download the iso, mount it on a usb stick and boot from that. It should show any remaining partitions that diskpart doesn't see. Also important for windows 10 is that the device shows a GPT identifier; create one just in case using windows 7 set it as MBR. Note that at installation time windows 10 prefers that only 1 drive be connected; you can add more later. Once you've verified that its GPT all of the drive space should be unallocated so that installer can create its own partitions.

Reactions: CompuGuy71

mike5652

Honorable
Dec 11, 2017
So I got Gparted running and the ony drive attached was the SSD. Gparted started a scan that seem to never end and also tossed an error up in a separate window. Picture attached.
I'm seriously thinking something has gone wrong with the SSD.
Screen Shot
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.