PNY 6800 Ultra Or any other Brand all look Exactly the sam..

TechMaster

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004

Im looking to upgrade from m y Geforce 2 Card to one of these New 6800
Series Cards by Nvidia. No matter which manfacturer i look at..they
all look the same, Same PC board Layout, Same Heatsinks same Fan
Styles Etc.. So why is it Everyone Trashes PNY bran of 6800 Ultra Yet
it looks Exactly the same as an Asus or a BFG or Anyone elses.
Is it just the BIOS that chenges in htese items?? I reallly cant
believe all these card Manufacturers Camu up with the exact smae
designs by Accident.
Anyone know Whats best and if so WHY Shouldnt i get the PNY brand
as opposed to anyone elses.??

In article <usefq0h3ngn1vm6ebb6odkl19jkftsetlh@4ax.com>, Loa@Aool.com
says...
> Im looking to upgrade from m y Geforce 2 Card to one of these New 6800
> Series Cards by Nvidia. No matter which manfacturer i look at..they
> all look the same, Same PC board Layout, Same Heatsinks same Fan
> Styles Etc.. So why is it Everyone Trashes PNY bran of 6800 Ultra Yet
> it looks Exactly the same as an Asus or a BFG or Anyone elses.
> Is it just the BIOS that chenges in htese items?? I reallly cant
> believe all these card Manufacturers Camu up with the exact smae
> designs by Accident.
> Anyone know Whats best and if so WHY Shouldnt i get the PNY brand
> as opposed to anyone elses.??

The reason they look the same is because they *ARE* the same. Nvidia
manufactures (or has manufactured) reference design boards which they
sell to different companies. Some companies add their own fan/heatsink
combo, but many do not. As far as I know, only a few companies actually
manufacture their own design, PCBs, etc. of Nvidia video cards. I think
ASUS is one of those, since many of their cards are non-standard
designs.

There is no reason not to buy the PNY brand. Some people may have had
problems with PNY cards, but people have had problems with cards from
ever manufacturer. If it has a one year warranty that is plenty. If it
works for a year it will probably work for as long as you want to use
it. The most likely component to fail is the fan, which can be cheaply
replaced.

"TechMaster" <Loa@Aool.com> wrote in message

" Anyone know Whats best and if so WHY Shouldnt i get the PNY brand as
opposed to anyone elses.?? "

Your system currently has a GeForce2, and you're planning to swop it for a
6800 Ultra. It's just a hunch, but I'm guessing your system won't hold up a
6800 Ultra. Perhaps you could enlighten us.

TechMaster

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 02:44:32 -0000, "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com>
wrote:

Ohhh Really.......
How about a p4 @ 2.8Ghz and a Gig or RAM
And about 300 Gigs oh HD space.
Running XP Pro and NOT the Dreded Service pack 2.
Mr Smarty Pants.

>"TechMaster" <Loa@Aool.com> wrote in message
>
>" Anyone know Whats best and if so WHY Shouldnt i get the PNY brand as
>opposed to anyone elses.?? "
>

>Your system currently has a GeForce2, and you're planning to swop it for a
>6800 Ultra. It's just a hunch, but I'm guessing your system won't hold up a
>6800 Ultra. Perhaps you could enlighten us.

TechMaster

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 02:44:32 -0000, "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com>
wrote:

And ohh Yes a 500 Watt Power Supply

>"TechMaster" <Loa@Aool.com> wrote in message
>
>" Anyone know Whats best and if so WHY Shouldnt i get the PNY brand as
>opposed to anyone elses.?? "
>

>Your system currently has a GeForce2, and you're planning to swop it for a
>6800 Ultra. It's just a hunch, but I'm guessing your system won't hold up a
>6800 Ultra. Perhaps you could enlighten us.

Charlie

it is "dreaded" not "dreded" dumb ass....

--

Charlie
www.492acousticblues.com

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 02:44:32 -0000, "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com>
> wrote:
>
> Ohhh Really.......
> How about a p4 @ 2.8Ghz and a Gig or RAM
> And about 300 Gigs oh HD space.
> Running XP Pro and NOT the Dreded Service pack 2.
> Mr Smarty Pants.
>

>>"TechMaster" <Loa@Aool.com> wrote in message
>>
>>" Anyone know Whats best and if so WHY Shouldnt i get the PNY brand as
>>opposed to anyone elses.?? "
>>

>>Your system currently has a GeForce2, and you're planning to swop it for a
>>6800 Ultra. It's just a hunch, but I'm guessing your system won't hold up
>>6800 Ultra. Perhaps you could enlighten us.

Charlie

Shove all 500 watts up your ass....

--

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:32:46 -0600, "Charlie" <charlie@aol.com> wrote:

>it is "dreaded" not "dreded" dumb ass....

Who the hell are you...Mr Spellcheck??
Who the hell cares? Why dont you keep your inanne
Spell thoughts to yourself. If you have something Usefull to put here
about the question at hand then do so. If not Then GO back to
Jerkin it to your pic's of Laura Croft.

TechMaster wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:32:46 -0600, "Charlie" <charlie@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> it is "dreaded" not "dreded" dumb ass....
>
> Who the hell are you...Mr Spellcheck??

He's just giving you back a little of what you're handing out.

> Who the hell cares? Why dont you keep your inanne
> Spell thoughts to yourself. If you have something Usefull to put here
> about the question at hand then do so. If not Then GO back to
> Jerkin it to your pic's of Laura Croft.

Heh, you're a troll's delight! I'd suggest thickening up your skin a little.

dvus

TechMaster wrote:

> Mr Smarty Pants.
<snip>
> Who the hell are you...Mr Spellcheck??
> Who the hell cares? Why dont you keep your inanne
> Spell thoughts to yourself. If you have something Usefull to put here
> about the question at hand then do so. If not Then GO back to
> Jerkin it to your pic's of Laura Croft.

Personally, I don't think an attitude like this will help in getting
advice, your questions answered or any other response from this NG,
other than abusive ones.

When you finish school, you will need to make a living. It helps if you
have learned to be humble, polite - and how to spell. Give it a go, and
people will respect you for it.

RJT wrote:

> TechMaster wrote:
>
> > Mr Smarty Pants.
> <snip>
>
>> Who the hell are you...Mr Spellcheck?? Who the hell cares? Why dont
>> you keep your inanne Spell thoughts to yourself. If you have something
>> Usefull to put here about the question at hand then do so. If not Then
>

> Personally, I don't think an attitude like this will help in getting
> advice, your questions answered or any other response from this NG,
> other than abusive ones.
>
> When you finish school, you will need to make a living. It helps if you
> have learned to be humble, polite - and how to spell. Give it a go, and
> people will respect you for it.

Bravo...
Couldn't have said it better myself...

TM, your system is just fine for a 6800 Ultra.

Charlie, Cuzman, RJT etc are just idiots.

LK.

"TechMaster" <Loa@Aool.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 02:44:32 -0000, "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com>
> wrote:
>
> Ohhh Really.......
> How about a p4 @ 2.8Ghz and a Gig or RAM
> And about 300 Gigs oh HD space.
> Running XP Pro and NOT the Dreded Service pack 2.
> Mr Smarty Pants.
>

>>"TechMaster" <Loa@Aool.com> wrote in message
>>
>>" Anyone know Whats best and if so WHY Shouldnt i get the PNY brand as
>>opposed to anyone elses.?? "
>>

>>Your system currently has a GeForce2, and you're planning to swop it for a
>>6800 Ultra. It's just a hunch, but I'm guessing your system won't hold up
>>6800 Ultra. Perhaps you could enlighten us.

TechMaster

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 10:57:20 GMT, "Lyrical Korma"
<lyrical.korma@bogus.com> wrote:

It never seizzzzes to ammmaseze meee why ther be so mannny
speel check trolll on these Newsgroups.
All i can figure is the Are still on thier AOL accounts and somehow
discoverd a newsgroup thinking its a Chatroom.

But thanks for your support. Lyrical

"Lyrical Korma" <lyrical.korma@bogus.com> wrote in message

" Charlie, Cuzman, RJT etc are just idiots. "

The OP hadn't stated his system, but yet was asking for recommendations on
replacing a GeForce2 with a 6800 Ultra. I would think that most would point
out the possibility that his system should be listed before such a
recommendation could be made.

TechMaster wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:32:46 -0600, "Charlie" <charlie@aol.com> wrote:
>

>>it is "dreaded" not "dreded" dumb ass....
>

> Who the hell are you...Mr Spellcheck??
> Who the hell cares? Why dont you keep your inanne
> Spell thoughts to yourself.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=inane

in·ane
adj. in·an·er, in·an·est

One that lacks sense or substance: interrupting with inane comments;
angry with my inane roommate.

--
"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do
nothing."--Edmund Burke

Charlie wrote:

> Shove all 500 watts up your ass....

Don't provoke him, he may like it...

--

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:33:57 -0500, TechMaster <Loa@Aool.com> wrote:

>Im looking to upgrade from m y Geforce 2 Card to one of these New 6800
>Series Cards by Nvidia. No matter which manfacturer i look at..they
>all look the same, Same PC board Layout, Same Heatsinks same Fan
>Styles Etc.. So why is it Everyone Trashes PNY bran of 6800 Ultra Yet
>it looks Exactly the same as an Asus or a BFG or Anyone elses.
>Is it just the BIOS that chenges in htese items?? I reallly cant
>believe all these card Manufacturers Camu up with the exact smae
>designs by Accident.
>Anyone know Whats best and if so WHY Shouldnt i get the PNY brand
>as opposed to anyone elses.??

Support is as far away as the hinterland of mainland China.
Typical RMA cycle is between several months and
infinite time.

Reliability -- the design may be the same, the components are
not....particularly the capacitors.

If you buy PNY, also get a independent no-questions-asked
instant-replacement contract, such as those that CompUSA
offer.

BFG and eVGA if you want REAL support.

John Lewis

BFG also includes lifetime warranty.
I have the BFG 6800oc and used RivaTuner to turn on the 4 pipelines that
are disabled. Fantastic graphics.

> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:33:57 -0500, TechMaster <Loa@Aool.com> wrote:
>
>>Im looking to upgrade from m y Geforce 2 Card to one of these New 6800
>>Series Cards by Nvidia. No matter which manfacturer i look at..they
>>all look the same, Same PC board Layout, Same Heatsinks same Fan
>>Styles Etc.. So why is it Everyone Trashes PNY bran of 6800 Ultra Yet
>>it looks Exactly the same as an Asus or a BFG or Anyone elses.
>>Is it just the BIOS that chenges in htese items?? I reallly cant
>>believe all these card Manufacturers Camu up with the exact smae
>>designs by Accident.
>>Anyone know Whats best and if so WHY Shouldnt i get the PNY brand
>>as opposed to anyone elses.??
>

> Support is as far away as the hinterland of mainland China.
> Typical RMA cycle is between several months and
> infinite time.
>
> Reliability -- the design may be the same, the components are
> not....particularly the capacitors.
>
> If you buy PNY, also get a independent no-questions-asked
> instant-replacement contract, such as those that CompUSA
> offer.
>
> BFG and eVGA if you want REAL support.
>
> John Lewis

minotaur

TechMaster wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 02:44:32 -0000, "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com>
> wrote:
>
> Ohhh Really.......
> How about a p4 @ 2.8Ghz and a Gig or RAM
> And about 300 Gigs oh HD space.
> Running XP Pro and NOT the Dreded Service pack 2.
> Mr Smarty Pants.
>

>>"TechMaster" <Loa@Aool.com> wrote in message
>>
>>" Anyone know Whats best and if so WHY Shouldnt i get the PNY brand as
>>opposed to anyone elses.?? "
>>

>>Your system currently has a GeForce2, and you're planning to swop it for a
>>6800 Ultra. It's just a hunch, but I'm guessing your system won't hold up a
>>6800 Ultra. Perhaps you could enlighten us.

I would go for a GT, not an Ultra and put the extra money towards a new
CPU. The GT shall easily reach stock Ultra specs.. It's just the CPU you
have now shall definantly be a bottleneck to the system, with say HL2
etc that are very demanding on the CPU.

Best of luck!

l8'r Minotaur

btw: down with the lame asses on the Usenet these days trolling for
attention, just ignore them (8*

"RonK" <I'mnuts@home.com> wrote in message
> BFG also includes lifetime warranty.
> I have the BFG 6800oc and used RivaTuner to turn on the 4 pipelines that
> are disabled. Fantastic graphics.

Thats just the regular 6800 ? And is it easy to turn those 4 other pipelines
on ? Im thinking of getting just the 6800 over the 6600 gt agp.

It's just the plain BFG 6800OC
It's very easy to turn on the pipes with RivaTuner. You can do a search for
RivaTuner and download it from the net.
When you are ready to turn them on - Post back here.
Ron

"lonesw0rdsman" <geo@neo.net> wrote in message

> "RonK" <I'mnuts@home.com> wrote in message
>> BFG also includes lifetime warranty.
>> I have the BFG 6800oc and used RivaTuner to turn on the 4 pipelines that
>> are disabled. Fantastic graphics.
>>

> Thats just the regular 6800 ? And is it easy to turn those 4 other
> pipelines on ? Im thinking of getting just the 6800 over the 6600 gt agp.

TRENDING THREADS