PNY 9600 GT Will it fit?

soulbyul

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Hey guys! :)
Just wanted to start of saying this community looks great! Now straight to the subject.
I am going to invest in a PNY 9600 GT 1GB, but I am extremely worried that the card won't fit. The card is a whopping 9 inches for the 96 watt version, and my motherboard seems to be about 10-11 inches after attempting to measure 9 inches in my case. For visual purposes here is a picture of the interior of my case where the video card should go.

0728101926.jpg

Apologies for my rather bad quality photo.
There are some doohickeys sticking up right below and above the PCI-e slot, and the ones below are higher than the slot itself; will that prevent the 9600 GT to insert correctly? Will the 9600 GT fit in my case?

Additional info: Computer model - Compaq Presario SR5501P
Power supply - hec HP585D 585W ATX12V

Thank you for any help provided.

As far as i can see, a normal pcie card would fit into your case/mobo.
A single slot card would be fine, dual slot card is fine as well, since it will take 2 slot, which mean you must sacrifice that pci 1x slot (the small black one)...

soulbyul

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

Wow! That's a huge relief, but just to make sure my ram slots or the white column looking things will not block the card, is that correct?
And what is the size of a "normal pcie card" in your opinion since they could be 9 inches like the 9600 gt or 6 inches like the 8600 gt.

Thank you very much for your help. :)

Helltech

Distinguished
wa1 is usually right but I don't think he was looking at the memory modules, he was just looking at the PCI-e slot. Those memory modoules ARE awefully close to your PCI-e slot. The best thing to do is measure the clearance you have there. YOu can usually find the length of cards. Now this is all realtive since I don't acutally know how much room is there (it might just be the angle of the picture).

So yeah, report back with the length from the end of the case where the pci-e slot is, to the memory module.

Thanks.

soulbyul

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

Hello, Helltech! Thank you so much for helping.

edit.jpg
[/img]

Explanation:
Blue 6.5 inches - From the tip of the memory module, to the tip of the case.
Red 0 inches - From the bottom tip of the pcie slot to the upper tip of the memory module.
Green 1.25 inches - From the left tip of the pcie slot to the right tip of the memory module.
Yellow - The Doohickeys that are sticking up are taller than the pcie slot itself and they are worrying me, will those doohickeys block the graphics card?

Sorry for my horrible paint job.
Again thank you for your help.

soulbyul

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

Hey Timop! Thank you too for helping. :)
Now a few questions
1. The cooler faces the other way, however there is also the white doohickey above the memory module, do you think that would block the card.
2. Is 100% of the cards bulk facing away from the memory module? Because if not there is 0" of space between the memory module and the pcie slot and therefore would not fit.

The help is much appreciated!

Timop

Distinguished

The metal thing? Thats the south-bridge heatsink. youll be fine as there should be clearance under the card.
Theres nothing on the backside of the 9600GT IIRC, the worst case senario is youll have to remove the card to install/remove RAM, but that's it.

soulbyul

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

I was observing images of the 9600 GT and it does seem that there is absolutely nothing on the side opposite of the cooler. Thank you so much for your informative advice Timop!
I am overjoyed that the gpu can fit into my case! :) Now let's just hope the 9 inches can actually fit lengthwise without bumping into anything haha.

And the Best Reply goes to.... Timop! Thank you again! :)