[SOLVED] PNY Elite external SSD, enough or not?

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
Hello
I am tempted by the PNY external SSD 960gb Elite model (not the Pro) to use it with my TV 4k, will this solution be enough to view 4k videos (taken with my smartphone and Fuji X-T3 with high mb/s) or it's better to choose an entry level SATA internal SSD + enclosure to USB, or go even further with an Nvme SSD + enclosure?
Will the USB limit the speed to 450-500mb/s anyway and nvme is overkill?
I saw some amazon reports about this PNY model talking about overheating of this drive, is this still the case with 2019 production or they corrected this fault?

Solution
What is the ''real'' max speed of these drives over USB 3.1?
500ish mb/s?
Theoretically but usually much lower:
USB 3.1, released in July 2013, is the successor standard that replaces the USB 3.0 standard. USB 3.1 preserves the existing SuperSpeed transfer rate, giving it the new label USB 3.1 Gen 1,[4][5] while defining a new SuperSpeed+ transfer mode, called USB 3.1 Gen 2[4] which can transfer data at up to 10 Gbit/s over the existing USB-type-A and USB-C connectors (1250 MB/s, twice the rate of USB 3.0).[6][7]
Hello
I am tempted by the PNY external SSD 960gb Elite model (not the Pro) to use it with my TV 4k, will this solution be enough to view 4k videos (taken with my smartphone and Fuji X-T3 with high mb/s) or it's better to choose an entry level SATA internal SSD + enclosure to USB, or go even further with an Nvme SSD + enclosure?
Will the USB limit the speed to 450-500mb/s anyway and nvme is overkill?
I saw some amazon reports about this PNY model talking about overheating of this drive, is this still the case with 2019 production or they corrected this fault?
Yes, USB will be a bottleneck for anything solid state.

What is the ''real'' max speed of these drives over USB 3.1?
500ish mb/s?
USB 3.1, released in July 2013, is the successor standard that replaces the USB 3.0 standard. USB 3.1 preserves the existing SuperSpeed transfer rate, giving it the new label USB 3.1 Gen 1,[4][5] while defining a new SuperSpeed+ transfer mode, called USB 3.1 Gen 2[4] which can transfer data at up to 10 Gbit/s over the existing USB-type-A and USB-C connectors (1250 MB/s, twice the rate of USB 3.0).[6][7]

Solution

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016

So if I find an enclosure with type C and connect it to my type C port of my PC it should run twice faster than USB 3.0/3.1?
I have a B450M motherboard with this listed though:
USB 3.1 PORTS (REAR): 1(Gen1, Type C)