PNY Gtx 1060 3gb high temperature

ahmed25004

Honorable
Jun 10, 2018
Hello
So i just bought this card (PNY gtx 1060 3gb dual fan)
But when i use the computer without games the temp is around 39 degree
And when i open games like ac origins, fortnite the temp stuck on exactly 82 degree no more no less
Is it normal ?

Solution
You can adjust the fan curve right in MSI Afterburner. There are several turorials out there. Just search for "how to adjust fan curve on GTX 1060". It doesn't even have to be the same card you have. They are all the same. Example

The fan curve is simply adjusting when the fan comes on, how fast it runs at what temps, etc.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
No, not normal. While 82C is not too hot, it is hotter than normal. As is the fact that there doesn't seem to be any change. I suspect a sensor problem. When you run Furmark, can you see the temp gradually rise or does it suddenly shoot to 82C and stay there?

ahmed25004

Honorable
Jun 10, 2018
No it gradually rise like 45,50,57,60,70,82 not the same order but like this untill it stuck on 82 and doesn't getting higher or lower
Is there something of card setting make it rise into 82 and stop when gaming?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Normally, the temp will rise and fall as usage demands. But if I'm understanding you correctly, the problem is two-fold; the temp is a bit too high and the temp rise always seems to stop when it hits 82C.
Let's know a little more about the environment that the card is running in. What is the rest of the system, including the case you're using? The ambient temp of the room the PC is in?

Btw, is this the card in question?

ahmed25004

Honorable
Jun 10, 2018
Cpu: i5 8400
MB:b360m
Memory: 8gb
Case: it called "OC Oracle" maybe you'll not find it on google but this is picture much like it
Volcano-RGB.gif

The room temp between 20-25

And the card you quoted is my card

Btw i downloaded msi afterburner and i found option called temperature limit ans it set on 82
I can decrease it to 60 and it works!
But im afraid if this option could effect to the card and will make it work bad or choking

ahmed25004

Honorable
Jun 10, 2018
Does that case have a vented top?
the case have fans on front and back and under the case, from the top there is ventilation slots but no fans

It depends on what afterburner does to keep the temp down. Lower the clock speed or increase the fan RPM?
when i decrease the temp limit i notice that power limit is decreases too and the fan speed is decreased too
and i notice that the gpu MHz is increasing when i increase the temp limit

Conclusion that the temp limit have a direct correlation with power limit and fan speed and gpu MHz

The latter is what you want to do. See if there is a way to adjust the fan curve
sorry i didn't get this point can u explain it

lastly sorry for my bad English and sorry for disturb you

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You can adjust the fan curve right in MSI Afterburner. There are several turorials out there. Just search for "how to adjust fan curve on GTX 1060". It doesn't even have to be the same card you have. They are all the same. Example

The fan curve is simply adjusting when the fan comes on, how fast it runs at what temps, etc.

Solution

ahmed25004

Honorable
Jun 10, 2018

i found a lot of fan curves but I ended up with the one you quoted,
now i returned the temp limit to 82 as default and the temp when im gaming is abot 72-76 and the pc now has a high fan voices
im wondering i wathched people on YT with the same pc specs but they have a higher fps and temp always under 70
so i want to ask you again if the temp limit will affect on the card or there is no problem on it ?

ahmed25004

Honorable
Jun 10, 2018

oh i thinking of that maybe the card is overclocking ? how i can know that ? i noticed that card clock MHz is getting directly up to 1860MHz and stop in there, memory clock MHz to the same up to 4006MHz and stop in there
theese numbers isnt high or its normal ?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Memory clock is normal. (4GHz x 2 = 8GHz)
The GPU clock being higher than rated is expected. Unlike CPUs, the gfx card manufacturer usually lists the minimum clock speed that the GPU will run at. All of my gfx cards have run at higher clocks than the rated speed. Quite normal.

ahmed25004

Honorable
Jun 10, 2018

So its not the gpu clock the problem
i ended up with make a fan curve and set the temp limit on 76 is that good ? or i can find another solution?
because i watched a lof of people has the same card but not that like of high temp
and i have another question, if i set the fan speed over 90% is this dangerous? or will it reduces the fan defualt age ?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If it is still under either retailer or manufacturer warranty, yes you can request an RMA (return merchandise authorization).