Pny gtx 970 a good buy?

raul1794

Distinguished
May 27, 2011

I know this but like I said this pny is what's available at my local tiger direct, and I wanted to know if it was any good.

I'm going out on a limb here, and assuming none of the other posters have ever owned a PNY card. This happens a lot on these forums where people tend to repeat what they assume is common wisdom, i.e. MSI, Asus, EVGA are always better.

As a current and past owner of at least five of their cards, here's the deal with PNY:
- It's the reference design that's not as good as the custom models. This goes for reference designs by MSI, eVGA, Asus, etc. Reference designs are all exactly the same in terms of component "quality".
- PNY has great customer service in my experience of two RMA's with them. The reason my RMA experience is so high is :
- PNY has a Lifetime Warranty. That literally can't be beat. It's nice to know that you can keep your card for longer than other company's three years and still get a replacement. Each time, they have given me a brand new in the box, unused model. I can't say that about MSI, who gave me a board that someone else had returned, still defective.
- Lastly, if it matters, PNY is an American company based in Brooklyn, NY. Just a minor item to some, a big deal to others.

Don't fear PNY. If you want a better card that will run quieter and cooler with higher Turbo Boost clocks look for a custom model. PNY even makes those as well.

raul1794

Distinguished
May 27, 2011

so far as been solid, guild wars 2 maxed out 120+ fps, the fans dont even kick in when playing dota or league, the coil whine is present tho and is rather annoying.Other than that its been great, will be testing bf 4 and planetside 2 when they done downloading.