PNY verto 6800gs OC (unlocking the other pixel pipes)?

frankenwookie

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I was able to pick one of these up for a great deal fom a local vendor, came with 12 pixel pipes. I read on a few sites that it was built using the 7800 series chipset and you could unlock extra pipes for a total of 16. Does anyone have any experince here with this or this particular card?

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Based on the 7800????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

6800GS is NV40 bud, and I have quite a bit of experience unlocking them.
The pipelines and vertex shaders are bitmased. Download, install and run Rivatuner if you want to unlock them.

Then open up Rivatuner and click on the customize tab, and then proceed to the NVstrap at the top. At the bottom of the opened window click on "install" which basically then gives you the option of advanced hardware configuration.

If you click on the box thats "hardware masked units" your going to get a warning box, by clicking 'Yes', you can select custom and a a PP/vertex box will then appear.

You'll see the active units, indicated by a check mark. Then you'll see other's without checks, however in the dialog boxes to the right the state will be "disabled" and HW masked will be marked "yes".

Basically you need to click on the grey area to allow the unlock. After you've selected the bitmasked units, hit ok then apply....save and restart your machine.

When you boot back up and there's no corruption, go back into Rivatuner to confirm that you've unlocked to full spec (16x1 5vp) It will say in a sutble line right in the first dialog box. That should about do it. This is from memory, so if anybody finds that I missed something (dont think I did :lol: :lol: :lol: ) then let me know.

frankenwookie

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Based on the 7800????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

6800GS is NV40 bud, and I have quite a bit of experience unlocking them.
The pipelines and vertex shaders are bitmased. Download, install and run Rivatuner if you want to unlock them.

Then open up Rivatuner and click on the customize tab, and then proceed to the NVstrap at the top. At the bottom of the opened window click on "install" which basically then gives you the option of advanced hardware configuration.

If you click on the box thats "hardware masked units" your going to get a warning box, by clicking 'Yes', you can select custom and a a PP/vertex box will then appear.

You'll see the active units, indicated by a check mark. Then you'll see other's without checks, however in the dialog boxes to the right the state will be "disabled" and HW masked will be marked "yes".

Basically you need to click on the grey area to allow the unlock. After you've selected the bitmasked units, hit ok then apply....save and restart your machine.

When you boot back up and there's no corruption, go back into Rivatuner to confirm that you've unlocked to full spec (16x1 5vp) It will say in a sutble line right in the first dialog box. That should about do it. This is from memory, so if anybody finds that I missed something (dont think I did :lol: :lol: :lol: ) then let me know.

7800 is only what I was told, most reviews said that they were comparable, so I inexperienced and try to take everything with a grain of salt. Thanks for the help though.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
No problem bud. NV40 is the 6800series with the exception of several GPU's.
The 7800 series is NV47 based on a completely different core.

plewis00_uk

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
The only other thing I would think about adding is the vertex shader unlock (to 6 vertex shaders) and to run something graphically intensive to test the result and make sure there are no artifacts or glitches when running 3D applications.

cleeve

Illustrious
Keep in mind, is this PCIe or AGP?

The AGP 6800GS' are based on the NV40 core like raven said, but the PCIe 6800GS' is not NV40 - it's NV42, it has 12 pipes natively and can not be unlocked to anything.

The PCIe core makes for great overclocking though, it's on a smaller process.

Both the AGP and PCIe versions are pre-7x00 series.