Pocket Desktop Protects Your Files, Privacy When Using PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
[citation][nom]el33t[/nom]What? Isn't bootable linux USBs capable of all those features mentioned something old? Why is this news?[/citation]
It doesn't sound like they're doing anything that hasn't been doable for the last decade. But for anyone that's not tech savvy enough to set up their own bootable Linux USB drive, there's value in the service of having someone else set it up. So I guess this is new in the sense that a company is now selling that service.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
You can start a business doing this kind of shit? Wow I am going to sell air in a bottle. True you can get your own air readily available anywhere, but I am going to market my air as being more secure, private and free from viruses.

Hmm I wonder if any private info can be grabbed from the ram.
I assume the host computer has a HDD itself and something there can save/copy the ram data from the portable OS session.
Would the encryption prevent that since I think data written to ram is decrypted for use. Does the read only effect this?

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]shoelessinsight[/nom]It doesn't sound like they're doing anything that hasn't been doable for the last decade. But for anyone that's not tech savvy enough to set up their own bootable Linux USB drive, there's value in the service of having someone else set it up. So I guess this is new in the sense that a company is now selling that service.[/citation]
It seems silly that you had to explain that but given some of the comments it's good that you did.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]How many free, downloadable Linux distros exist to fill this exact need?1: Download distro you trust.2: Put it on a USB drive that costs a lot less than these do.3: Save a ton of money.4: Profit![/citation]
Yes that can be done but they're offering more than just that.

1: Its not just the bootable, secured, and encrypted Linux they're offering. They've also thrown in "other" goodies. I don't know what those are so I can't attest to the value (or lack thereof) of them.

2: It may only take you 3.5 minutes to do everything they've done but it may take someone else longer. Someone else may not want to be bothered baking all the ingredients when they can spend some change and get the cake already done. My local grocery store sells finished cakes. Is it that only retards don't bake their own? ...also, it's kinda like building your own PC vs. buying pre-built (Dell, HP, etc. seem to be doing quite well these days).

3: We're not talking a lot of money here (at least not in the 1st world...$20-$60). I'd not be surprised if those that may have a use for this found that cost negligible given the utility.

I'd build my own, myself, but I can understand those that might not want to be bothered given the negligible (subjective) cost involved.

Do folks here even try to looking at perspectives other than their own or is that just too hard?

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Already exists: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_gas_supply[/citation]

That's different. That is not "air in a bottle".
As someone who worked in a CSI style lab I can assure you that there is quite a difference in the 'content' of those 'air bottles' that what you breathe in your normal environment.

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Do folks here even try to looking at perspectives other than their own or is that just too hard?[/citation]
You were doing fine right up until that last snarky sentence. Well, no, that's not true. Your comment about the cakes was also dumb, because even an amateur in the kitchen can make a cake that tastes better than the crummy ones you get from the grocery store. So your whole point gets kind of buried in your delivery.

Also, it's clear you came up with your rebuttals without having looked at their website, because frankly, it's terrifying. Stock photos, $#!+ty Photoshops, no real technical information...I wouldn't touch this "secure" product with a ten-foot pole. Source code? Ha ha ha nope. Independent security audit? Yeah, right. At least with a distro you download, there are people with enough free time to actually go looking through the code for problems.

halcyon

Splendid

I did look at their website, I'm not impressed but I don't have to be, I'm not in the market. If I were I'd not be purchasing based on their website, I'd be purchasing based on a telecon I had with a sales rep. My comment about the cakes is more about time, not difficulty. Anyone that can read and has access to a normal kitchen can Betty Crocker. ...but that does take time and effort that someone may not want to spend...especially if they don't like to cook or are pressed for time, who knows. The snarky comment, though snarky and perhaps annoying, is somewhat appropriate. So many here (not all) write as if all they consider is their own perspective. I wonder if they're aware that that could benefit from correction.

joe gamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
These apparently contain a 256 bit encrypted READ ONLY Operating system, not something you can make with a standard USB stick. If you make your own, it is by definition not read only and therefore supposedly less secure. So no, you can't just by your own stick, install linux and have the same fucking thing. Besides, installing bootable Linux to USB is WAY above the capability of a normal user so of course there will be a market for something like this. People still pay Geek squad to defrag their HDD's, you think they are even going to think about creating their own bootable USB stick? Not a product for us obviously, but to call it shit is just knee jerk negativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.