Question PoE Camera that work with Google Home or Alexa Show?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Hi all,

Anybody know of any IP cameras, PoE and outdoor rated that integrate well with Google Home (preferably) or Alexa Show ? Ideally cheap(ish)...

I gather the Reolink RL-420-5MP does, albeit syncing via their own app then tying into Nest/Google Home, but seems like my main contender right now.

Any other suggestions?

Also Reolink state local recoding with their own NVR. There's no limitation there/proprietary elements, right? An NVR = a.n.other NVR?

Cameras are still very proprietary. There are lots of new cameras coming to the market targeted at home users so it is extremely hard to say. There is so much misinformation in this market. When it comes to night vision there tends to be large variations. For years you used to get stuff like hikvission. It is still cheaper than high end professions but it is not a $50 camera either.

The most common non proprietary dvr software people use is blueiris. Cameras that work with this tend to work with many other systems. I have never looked at google stuff.

Key here is you do not care what silly features the camera has. You do not want it doing motion detection clips or saving files etc. You want it to just stream data to you DVR. The CPU in cameras is tiny and if you get a lot of motion you will see a lot of skipped frames. Some of them will actually skip full seconds when they do stuff like compress and save files. You want all this function on a actual computer. It takes a lot of cpu power to do function like this.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Key here is you do not care what silly features the camera has. You do not want it doing motion detection clips or saving files etc. You want it to just stream data to you DVR.

I just want the ability to stream footage to a phone and to a Google/Nest Home, while storing the footage locally via an NVR. Alerts would be nice etc, but not a 'must have'.

Integration with GoogleHome seems a little tougher. I've seen the Nest outdoor cameras, but they still require power, which kind of defeats the purpose to me. I've seen people finding ways to brute force a camera to work via Home, or Alexa Show etc, but I'd rather something a little more streamlined.