Question Poe network running at half speed through ethernet but max through wireless

Jun 26, 2020
Hello ive got a problem with my current network the layout of my network is as follows
Dish on roof > POE > Router > Desktop pc
With that current layout my network speed is normal on all wireless devices but anything wired via ethernet from the router is half speed.

Ive tried the following
Test another pc
Test with different cables (9 cables)
Test with different router
Test in different ports on router
Restarting everything in the network
made sure all drivers are up to do as well as all firmware
Factort reset the routers

Nothing fixes the problem. It isnt my computer as when I bypass the router and plug the POE directly to my pc i get the full speeds. Same on the other pc. My ISP ensures me its nothing on their side and are quiet useless to be honest on the subject.

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following link provide the User Guide for your router?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/tl-wr940n/

Router version number?

If I correctly identified the router, use Section 2.1 to observe the Status lights while directly connected to the router.

And you do have full admin rights to the router - correct? If the router was factory reset then you should be using the default admin name and password to gain access to the router's configuration screens. Or know the admin name and password if you changed them after the factory reset.

Is there a model number on the POE adapter?

What sort of physical connection is between the dish and POE? No other devices?

On your PC run "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt:

First while connected to the router.

Second run "ipconfig /all" while connected to the POE (bypassing the router).

Post the results of both runs.

Jun 26, 2020

Router version number?

If I correctly identified the router, use Section 2.1 to observe the Status lights while directly connected to the router.

And you do have full admin rights to the router - correct? If the router was factory reset then you should be using the default admin name and password to gain access to the router's configuration screens. Or know the admin name and password if you changed them after the factory reset.

Router Model Number and Version
View: https://imgur.com/a/qpbmnsm

I've got full admin access to the router, All wireless devices are getting the full download speed, But anything wired coming from either routers gets only about half of the max download. Furthermore I have now tested with a different POE and same problem occurs.

No there is no Model Number on the POE it simply says "Tp-Link on the front" Picture of it here.
View: https://imgur.com/a/oO4ArTv

The network structure is Dish on Roof (That connects to the ISP towers) Then a ethernet cable that runs to the POE adapter then the Lan from the POE goes into the router then a ethernet cable from the router goes directly into my PC.

There is nothing between the Dish and the POE adapter.

Ipconfig /all (With router inbetween POE and Desktop)
View: https://imgur.com/a/Q3XqAPZ

ipconfig /all (POE directly to Desktop)
View: https://imgur.com/a/PPEmMwt

The router is literally just used as an Access Point, It has worked fine for months with full speeds but all of a sudden on Tuesday this problem became apparent after I started downloading a few things. Also I apologize for the links to the images the image feature kept erroring for some reason.

Last edited:
How fast is 1/2 the speed.

Your router only has 10/100 ports on it so if you get more than 100 directly connected that is the cause.

If you are actually running it as a AP then it should act as a small switch. Be very careful that the lan IP of the router is not 192.168.0.1 because it will conflict with the device on the antenna.

Since it is a PoE device it means the actual radio is mounted to the back of the dish. The device is likely tplink since they are using a tplink power injector. Since it gives you 192.168.0.x ip addresses I bet this is running as a router.

If you are not running your router as a AP you need to change the lan ip address and dhcp range to something like 192.168.1.x so it does not conflict with the ip addresses the ISP is using.

Jun 26, 2020

Router version number?

How fast is 1/2 the speed.

Your router only has 10/100 ports on it so if you get more than 100 directly connected that is the cause.

If you are actually running it as a AP then it should act as a small switch. Be very careful that the lan IP of the router is not 192.168.0.1 because it will conflict with the device on the antenna.

Since it is a PoE device it means the actual radio is mounted to the back of the dish. The device is likely tplink since they are using a tplink power injector. Since it gives you 192.168.0.x ip addresses I bet this is running as a router.

If you are not running your router as a AP you need to change the lan ip address and dhcp range to something like 192.168.1.x so it does not conflict with the ip addresses the ISP is using.
As I said, i've been running this config for months with 0 problems,

the Dish is the main router or acting as one yes, that is set to 192.168.0.1 and the router itself is set as 192.168.0.250, the speed is only 10mbps so no where near 100. The router is configured only as an access point and not as an internet router, the DHCP on the router is also turned off as the DHCP on the dish handles this. Routing is not the problem it's simply wired speed vs wireless speed I have no clue what the problem is. I've booked an on site inspection for next week so hopefully they can figure out the problem

If you plug the cable coming in from the poe box to a router lan port and your pc to a different router lan port you more or less have a simple 4 port switch.
So you say if you connect directly you get 10mbps and if you connect via the router it is even less ?

That is very strange. The switching chip in the router can run every port at 100mbps up and 100mbps down all at the same time. It should never be a bottleneck.

Jun 26, 2020
If you plug the cable coming in from the poe box to a router lan port and your pc to a different router lan port you more or less have a simple 4 port switch.
So you say if you connect directly you get 10mbps and if you connect via the router it is even less ?

That is very strange. The switching chip in the router can run every port at 100mbps up and 100mbps down all at the same time. It should never be a bottleneck.

Its not only on this router, I have another 4 port 300mbps router that has the same problem, It seems to be an internal network problem possibly directly from the Dish. To be honest sounds like dodgy business dealings, they were very insistent on sending someone else which is $200 a pop....

So when they're here they better prove to me that they couldn't fix it remotely otherwise i will not be paying.

The so called 300 number is a wifi fake number. What matters is the speed of the ethernet. The ports will either be 10/100 or 10/100/1000. It is highly likely that the 300 router also have 100mbps ports.

Still none of that matters if your internet speed when you directly connect is less than 100mbps. The ports should be able to run that fast.

Jun 26, 2020
The so called 300 number is a wifi fake number. What matters is the speed of the ethernet. The ports will either be 10/100 or 10/100/1000. It is highly likely that the 300 router also have 100mbps ports.

Still none of that matters if your internet speed when you directly connect is less than 100mbps. The ports should be able to run that fast.

Well I cannot figure out the problem at all the dish on the roof is a Mikro Tik branded router. The POE injector is the second one, The first being a different brand altogether, I feel there may be something wrong with power delivery or something wrong in general with the config of the dish. But I cannot touch that as its not my property.

someone is being sent out on Monday to come investigate. If it is just a config error I am going to refuse to pay because they can 100% fix that remotely

Jun 24, 2020
Try this ,maybe will work. Maybe won't.

Open a command prompt with Administrator privileges ( Click start and type CMD, right click Command prompt and run as admin)
Type:
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

I actually went forward and changed that to 'normal', so you can also use the below (which is what im running now.

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
after either it should say "OK"

then type
ipconfig /renew
let it do its thing
Then type
ipconfig /flushdns

Jun 26, 2020
Try this ,maybe will work. Maybe won't.

Open a command prompt with Administrator privileges ( Click start and type CMD, right click Command prompt and run as admin)
Type:
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

I actually went forward and changed that to 'normal', so you can also use the below (which is what im running now.

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
after either it should say "OK"

then type
ipconfig /renew
let it do its thing
Then type
ipconfig /flushdns

I'll try that but I highly doubt its a problem with my PC as the problem seems to be the whole network. Ive tested 3 pcs via wireless (they all got full download) and then tested the same pc's wired and they all got half the speed.

It's defiantly an issue with the Dish or config. Stuff I cannot touch.