PoE Questions, Router

Mar 20, 2018
Hi, I'm thinking of running a long cat6 cable from my router to my 2nd house in the back(Its about 300-400 feet in length) I am planning on using a switch and from that switch to a PoE access point a Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro access point. Do I need a PoE Capable switch? Would there be any issues with a long ethernet cable? Thanks!

Solution
You only need a PoE-enabled switch or access point if you need to remotely power the device. If you have access to local power, it usually makes more sense (much cheaper and simpler too) to just do that.

Another advantage of using fiber aside from greatly extended working range is it also eliminates the possibility of electrical surges from equipment connected to distant grounds going through catX cable.

InvalidError

Titan
330' is the official maximum for 1GbE, though you may be able to get more than that with good quality cables and endpoint devices with sufficient tolerances. Since you'll need whatever length of cable you'll need either way, I'd simply run the cable with whatever extra length to spare for your possible mid-span range-extending PoE switch.

Another option would be to use Ethernet-to-fiber transceivers at both ends and fiber in-between endpoints. The more 'pro' option would be to put switches/routers with SFP ports at both ends of the fiber run but those are rarely heard of in the consumer space.

Mar 20, 2018
What about if I wanted to plug into a regular network switch like the one I am going to link? Then from that switch an ethernet cable to the PoE Acess point, Would I need a PoE switch>?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KFD0SEA/ref=twister_B07CZ6VCXD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

InvalidError

Titan
You only need a PoE-enabled switch or access point if you need to remotely power the device. If you have access to local power, it usually makes more sense (much cheaper and simpler too) to just do that.

Another advantage of using fiber aside from greatly extended working range is it also eliminates the possibility of electrical surges from equipment connected to distant grounds going through catX cable.

Solution