Question PoE to no PoE devices?

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I'm assuming this is a bad idea. I've never used it before, but with new access points that use it, I'm learning on the fly. I have injectors that came with the access points, but I also see there are PoE switches. I ran two cables to three different rooms and I want one PoE for the access points, but the other line to be for non-PoE devices to connect to a hardline occasionally. Thinking I'm better using the injectors if I want half of the lines to be for PoE devices and half not. Thanks for any info for a PoE rookie.

Be nice if the term PoE actually represented the same thing between all manufactures. Switch mostly only support 802.3af type of PoE. This is the industry standard version of PoE. Everything else is some proprietary thing that the vendor has. There is no guarantee of compatibility.

The good news is if you stick with equipment that uses 802.3af or 802.3at you do not need to worry about plugging a non poe device into a poe port. These standards are a active protocol. The device must actually request power from the switch. If it does not get this request it acts as a normal switch port.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008

I have this, and I'm not sure if it's af or at or not, but I guess what I'm more worried about, is if someone plugs something into the the connection that is NOT this access point, and it's NOT PoE, is that going to create problems? I need a switch to run all of the lines off to the different rooms after the router, and I want 3 to be PoE and the other three would be for NON PoE devices. If I get a PoE switch and in the process bypass using the three injectors, will that cause problems with devices that are not PoE that I plug into a PoE line?

Not sure if that was any clearer? :)

Ubiquiti makes both types of AP. Just be sure to buy ones that say they support 802.3af/t

If you use anything else you must worry about the problem of plugging in the wrong device. It can cause damage in some cases if you plug a non poe device into one of these proprietary forms of PoE.

Reactions: axlrose
POE AT adds significant cost to devices. if you only need 1 or 2 aps using the injectors is the way to go. the 24v ones run fine for 100ft.
their US-8-60W has 4 POE AF ports. This one costs the same as the others. The rest are AF/AT and it's 2x the price.

The 24v injectors are $2 the AF/AT singles are about $20.

The POE switches are really only worth it if you're going to buy a bunch of POE cameras + APs.