Point counter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gandalf

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I've noticed that in my Profile the "posted messages" are incrementing, but the "Points" count has stopped at 187. :fou:
I understood that 4 points was awarded for each posted reply message.
Can someone please "unstick" my point counter. It has been at 187 for about 24 hours.

Thanks...
Gandalf

- Personally, I am not much of a people person as I'm more of a loner.
- I Hate cellphones and as such, I do not own one.
- I have an extreme hatred of Telemarketers and Scam Artists to the point that I wish it was legal to Kill them.
- Most of the time, I prefer a Quiet environment. Any noise including people talking just cuts through my head making it so I can't think straight, hear my own thoughts, concentrate.
- Also when I'm trying to listen to someone or something, other sounds tend to make it difficult for me to hear what I am trying to listen to.
- I have always had a fear of heights and these days I also have a fear of falling.
- I do not like big cities (way too crowded)
- I much prefer the country side, preferably far away from other people.
- I love Japanese Anime & Manga
- I have always had a fascination with Japan and would one day love to visit and tour the place, especially some of the older, more traditional places.
- I'm a big fan of Bizarre Foods and there are quite a few interesting items I wouldn't hesitate to try.
- I spend most of my waking hours on my computers and network from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. I also work on systems for family and friends.
- These days when I go into a computer store I am bored unless I something catches my eye or I need something.

Cool! I feel like I know you. Were you in kentucky visiting your father earlier this week?

http://www.whas11.com/news/crimetracker/Eastern-Ky-fatherson-attempt-to-trade-stolen-lizard-for-booze-79950187.html

tecmo34

Administrator
125113120157079941803227.jpg

I talked to the French & BoM leaders above on the point totals not updating, personally. The feedback I received was they are trying to correct Badge's post points to over 40,000 points and his countless "best answers" but it seems it has overloaded the system. Their best option was to screw everyone and stop all post points... :lol: :D

G

***ROTFLMMFAO*** :D

I don't know which is funnier..... your post or the picture!

Napoleon Bonaparte looking like Squiggie (from Lavern & Shirley) dressed for a masquerade party while wearing fruit-of-the looms over stockings with a woodchuck looking like it's in shock! :D

Thank you for the effort. I did received notice of a number of previously unnaccounted for 'best answer' designations. I still have not received more than the .3 points per post for my first 7900 posts. (7900 posts x .3 points = 2370 points) is the disrespect I was given regarding this matter. This wrong doing still bothers me. If the French tech is reading this...take a look at this. Don't take it personal, but I hate you.

Although it's mostly about the relevant picture, this important tech related article relates my feelings regarding the French Tech and his presence on this site.

That is the coolest picture i've seen in a long time (don't worry tecmo, I got a really good chuckle out of yours as well). I've been going though the old threads in the Windows Vista and Windows 7 sections, marking best answers on the abandoned threads as applicable. I probably spammed your inbox a bit by doing that badge. Hopefully the point totals issue will be fixed soon to reflect those best answers.

Gandalf

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I used to help out at the PCHF website. However, a friend advised me that I should check out this site, because nowhere else was I so sorely needed.

It's been a couple of weeks now and I've come to the conclusion that he was right! :)

:lol: omfg
Oh yes. We all bow down in thanx for your presence on the site.

Thank you. I did receive those 'best answer' notices. Soon, I will have 15K points and be an Addict. I hope to make Pusher before the next designated title at 100K which is like Master Historian of Tom's if I rememeber correctly. Well, something on the level of Master Elder Historian Guru of French surrender history. At least. :)

That's it.... no more best answers for you! :)

G

First they nick all our points, then they insult us with stupid new titles and now they've turned off the clock !

All you need to know about French technology is in a Citroen Deux Chevaux -- the automotive equivalent of going to hell in a handcart.

G

It looks like it has been fixed, but if you manually add up points, you'll see that there are points still missing.

50 Points = Creating your account
50 Points = Confirming your email
120 Points = 3 Best answers @ 40 points each
10 Points = Opening a « discussion » thread
==========================================
230 Points total

4 Points = Posting answer posted on a Thread
4 Points = Posting comment on News

367 Posts x 4 Points each = 1468 Points

1468 Points + 230 Points (from above) = 1698 Points

Now here I'm going to assume that opening a Discussion Thread
takes precedence over posting an answer or comment point wise.

1698 minus 4 Points
============
1694 Points
Point Counter at time of this Reply = 1377 Points

Currently I'm listed as an Apprentice where as
@ 1500 Points you're supposed to be listed as Regular

Looking at both Toms Hardware and Toms Guide, the Points show
up the exact same with the only difference being the Badges awarded.

So seeing as the points are the exact same, Where are the Missing Points disappearing to?

TheViper

Distinguished
Renegade_Warrior, sometime earlier this year when the points system was renovated/established all posts prior to that point were only given 0.3 points each....not the full 4 points.

This likely accounts for the discrepancy in your points.

Let's try my numbers and see if they come out closer to what is listed since I started posting after the new changes took effect (meaning I've received the full 4 points for all my posts).

4,240 Points = 106 Best Answers @ 40 points each
50 Points = Opening 5 « discussion » threads
4,390 points

1,906 posts x 4 Points each = 7,624 points

7,624 Points + 4,390 Points (above) = 12,014 Points

Subtract 30 points for post points for threads I created = 11,984.

Total Points = 11,984 Points
Point Counter = 12,283 Points

I seem to have actually shorted myself. I counted my Best Answers via the emails received for them though I may not have kept the first few. Not sure how post/thread deletion works to in regards to keeping or losing the points.

It looks like it has been fixed, but if you manually add up points, you'll see that there are points still missing.

120 Points = 3 Best answers @ 40 points each
10 Points = Opening a « discussion » thread
230 Points total

367 Posts x 4 Points each = 1468 Points

1468 Points + 230 Points (from above) = 1698 Points

Now here I'm going to assume that opening a Discussion Thread
takes precedence over posting an answer or comment point wise.

1698 minus 4 Points
============
1694 Points
Point Counter at time of this Reply = 1377 Points

Currently I'm listed as an Apprentice where as
@ 1500 Points you're supposed to be listed as Regular

Looking at both Toms Hardware and Toms Guide, the Points show
up the exact same with the only difference being the Badges awarded.

So seeing as the points are the exact same, Where are the Missing Points disappearing to?

Just be happy it's working again......