Point Defense usefulness

I have some questions about combat from a newby.
I had several battles this turn between myself (Birdmen) and my Stormer
neighbour.

Previously I'd found out that he was buiding a lot of Deth Specs with
PTTs. So I decided to load up my Deth Specs with Intercepts, figuring
the cost would be worth it, as it should neutralise most of his PTT's
and allow the PPC I'd put on my Deth Specs to wipe him out.

It meant however that my Deth Specs cost around 5000MC, as opposed to
his 2200 MC.

I also had one battle this turn with one of my Darkwings. It too was
armed with 1 intercept (it was built before I had my building
strategy).

To make a long story short - the intercepts did nothing in 3 out of 4
battles, In teh one battle they did something, it was pretty minor and
I still lost.

All of this is making me think that expenditure on Point Defense is a
waste, and I'm better off focussing my expenditure at making more
expendible ships, rather than fewer tougher ships.

Opinions please.

You have an exception to the rule here. The stormers super high attack
bonus for the Deth Spec makes PD useless. (Try Holodecoys, they should
do wonders if he is using ptt's) For most ships with a 100 and below
attack bonus, PD can be a major asset.

Mantzikert wrote:
> I have some questions about combat from a newby.
> I had several battles this turn between myself (Birdmen) and my
Stormer
> neighbour.
>
> Previously I'd found out that he was buiding a lot of Deth Specs with
> PTTs. So I decided to load up my Deth Specs with Intercepts,
figuring
> the cost would be worth it, as it should neutralise most of his PTT's
> and allow the PPC I'd put on my Deth Specs to wipe him out.
>
> It meant however that my Deth Specs cost around 5000MC, as opposed to
> his 2200 MC.
>
> I also had one battle this turn with one of my Darkwings. It too was
> armed with 1 intercept (it was built before I had my building
> strategy).
>
> To make a long story short - the intercepts did nothing in 3 out of 4
> battles, In teh one battle they did something, it was pretty minor
and
> I still lost.
>
> All of this is making me think that expenditure on Point Defense is a
> waste, and I'm better off focussing my expenditure at making more
> expendible ships, rather than fewer tougher ships.
>
> Opinions please.

yup

Ships with a natural Attack Bonus higher than there hulls would reduce
the odds of there shots being intercepted. by the Attack Bonus - 100

So odds of an intercept shooting down a PTT from a Death Spec (not
factoring in range) 70% (intercept bonus odds?) - 200% == - 130%
(cannot be intercepted)

Well since I'm the Birdmen, I must admit this is probably a good thing
to exist.

Any other advice on Birdmen vs Stormer while I'm here?

I would recommend to use PPTs yourselfe, combined with some holodecoys
and concussions. Maybe a single SC along.

Good hunting ;-)

Fabian

Was going to write a smart ass comment here Derek, but after a long day
couldn't think of anything...

The superlasers seem pretty impressive though.

Seriously though, I would suggest using Diplomat which quickly shows up
this shortfall and can give you a basic idea of combat tactics. After
you were so successful against the lizards I assumed you had been doing
some simming.

Stormer cannot make base shields or have any way to protect their
remote colonists or resources besides barb fields so use your Dethspec
(with Blasters) & Brightheart to lay minefields in his space & crush
his undefended bases. Brightheart mines clear the space and the Specs
rush in and destroy his base. Also kill/board any freighters you get
lucky and see with your poor scanners.

Make a DW with SL to kill his homeworld with base shield.

Intercept and board any Glory Ships you can before the blow... even if
they are set to blow that round, at least they stop moving when you
board them, ruining their attack run.

The main thing to remember is:

'Put him on the defensive'

The Stormer are nearly impossible to defend with... his best defense is
usually to attack the player who attacks him... and a Stormer player
usually wins that battle. Fortunately for you, most players'
self-preservation response will kick in and they will try to protect
their resources from your Brightheart & Spec attacks (see above)
leaving you to freely build more ships to attack with.

Very important notes playing any cloaked race as be sure that if you
ally with anyone with a Loki, that they rememeber to keep it off when
you have cloakers passing near it.

I've killed in combat many a Deth spec detected by their Federation
ally's Lokis.

Point Defenses are indeed useless against a Deth Spec. The attack
bonsus on the Deth Spec is enough to negate entirely any chance of PD
hiting the target.

BUT against everything else, PD are useful. Intercepts are specality.
No defense from fighters at all, but best defense against weapons. They
are also the most expensive one, so not recomended for swarmers.

Definately in a Bird - Stormer matchup I wouldn't be putting Intercepts
in either sides Point Defenses slots. Probably the Micro Sand Castor is
what I'd place on the chance there's something other than a DS
encountered.

Against most anybody else without the massive attack bonsuses, I'd be
placing Intercepts on the DS, but it's not clear-cut.

nameless

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002

You probably love the DS to be utterly defenseless against fighters.
Otherwise you would have taken at least the TurboLasers in
consideration for point defense weapons, as the intercepts are totally
useless against fighters and the Microsandcasters are not doing much
good against fighters either.

And then there are other ship designs against which PDs are more or
less useless, of course sometimes you need a little boost to the attack
rating via exotic techs - ie. the Lotus (with PBC).

joncnunn@yahoo.com wrote:
> Point Defenses are indeed useless against a Deth Spec. The attack
> bonsus on the Deth Spec is enough to negate entirely any chance of PD
> hiting the target.
>
> BUT against everything else, PD are useful. Intercepts are specality.
> No defense from fighters at all, but best defense against weapons.
They
> are also the most expensive one, so not recomended for swarmers.
>
> Definately in a Bird - Stormer matchup I wouldn't be putting
Intercepts
> in either sides Point Defenses slots. Probably the Micro Sand Castor
is
> what I'd place on the chance there's something other than a DS
> encountered.
>
> Against most anybody else without the massive attack bonsuses, I'd be
> placing Intercepts on the DS, but it's not clear-cut.

>I would recommend to use PPTs yourselfe,

THAT is something I would only do when I want to loose the battle.
PPT drain only 5 points of Stormer shilds.

As you don´t know this I strongly recommand to read Stormer race guides.
(find at http://www.furfur.demon.co.uk/geop/v4races.htm)

Greetings
Sebastian

ross.mckinnon@gmail.com wrote:
> Seriously though, I would suggest using Diplomat which quickly shows
up
> this shortfall and can give you a basic idea of combat tactics. After
> you were so successful against the lizards I assumed you had been
doing
> some simming.

Nah, pretty much running on gut feel. As the latest turn showed.
Basically I'm struggling to find time to do my turn, let alone run sims
on Diplomat.

I've been surviving so far on my diplomacy skills. Surviving, but not
thriving.