Point of Vsync and Gsync?

serga.rolands

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
So I play on a cheap mini tv that is 60hz and no matter what fps i get in games I never get screentearing in games with or without vsync. Only time I get it is rarely on youtube, so is it jyst my setup or I just dont understand the reason for these technologies? thx

Solution
Video sync does as stated: syncs the output between the video card and monitor Every time the display device signals it is ready to display a frame, under v-sync, the video device attempts to send a whole frame to be displayed completely. This helps avoid screen tearing. As long as the video device can send at the display refresh, you won't notice any stutter. For a monitor running at 60Hz, this means a frame time, ready for display, every 16.67 ms.

The problem with V-sync and stutter (and the why for the application of g-sync), is for when video devices cannot send frames at the requested rate on time. The display device doesn't care if it's 25ms or 16.9ms if V-syncing at 60Hz...If its not under that needed 16.67 ms time...
Video sync does as stated: syncs the output between the video card and monitor Every time the display device signals it is ready to display a frame, under v-sync, the video device attempts to send a whole frame to be displayed completely. This helps avoid screen tearing. As long as the video device can send at the display refresh, you won't notice any stutter. For a monitor running at 60Hz, this means a frame time, ready for display, every 16.67 ms.

The problem with V-sync and stutter (and the why for the application of g-sync), is for when video devices cannot send frames at the requested rate on time. The display device doesn't care if it's 25ms or 16.9ms if V-syncing at 60Hz...If its not under that needed 16.67 ms time (1/60), the previous frame gets held and another 16.67ms has to be counted off until the next refresh the display time window. Under that scenario, a non-variable refresh monitor will display and hold the previous frame for another whole refresh cycle. This is done at fractional values of N, where N=your display (fixed) refresh rate. So N/2, then N/3, N/4, etc. In effect, on your tv at N=60, this works out in instant dips in apparent frame rates to 60/2=30fps, then 60/3 =20FPS, etc if your output doesn't hit 30 fps, etc. This can create the feel of stutter, especially if you vary above/below that fixed refresh rate frequently. This also varies on individual sensitivity to those changes.

G-sync is just NVidia's proprietary method of having a dynamic refresh rate. This allows you to have variable frame times that can still be displayed as whole frames under a V-sync scenario. If you have a 60 Hz G-sync display, the display's NOMINAL display rate is 60hz, but if your video device can only put out frames at 47 frames per second, then your display rate is smoothed out to 47 frames instead of being instantly dumped down to 30 (N/2, remember?) If your video is chugging along at 55-59 frames a second, that is your effective display rate adjusted in real time.

Find your frame rate suddenly hits 29 in a high action portion of a game for fractions of a second? Under G-sync variable refresh(as long as the module can handle that range), your video output is 29 FPS. Under A FIXED refresh rate panel, you are now less than 30, so you would get bumped down to N/3, so 20 frames per second effectively. G-sysnc effectively makes it so frame times are less relevant. 16.67ms, 16.69ms, 21.88ms: doesn't matter. Once the frame is ready for display the variable refresh rate allows it to be displayed instead of waiting a whole cycle.

Solution