Question Pointer and whole screen gets laggy randomly

BuBu Shofronea

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
Hello!

I came across an issue i don't know how to solve: from time to time the cursor and the screen itself gets laggy like a second it moves, the next it freezes and acts like this for a couple of times, until it recovers by itself, then if i try to open something from the desktop or rightclick on the desktop it starts again and so on;

I found that restarting the computer fixes it; I also found that killing the explorer and re-running it back again also solves it. I searched through the event viewer to see if anything comes up related to this and i've found nothing;

Days ago i resetted the windows via its settings; it happened back then and it happens now too;

I'm not sure what causes this; There's no process in task manager to consume high amounts of processing power when this happens;

These are the specs i'm running on:
Win 10 Pro 22H2
i5-6600
Rx 580
8gb ram ddr4
win installed on SSD

Please help!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hi

It could be the GPU drivers if restarting explorer can fix it

try running DDU in safe mode, uninstall GPU drivers, boot into normal and install newest drivers again

does mouse use its own drivers?

Reactions: BuBu Shofronea

ubuysa

Distinguished
8GB of RAM isn't a huge amount these days, so the system may be paging memory. A quick way to check that is to right-click on the taskbar and select Task Manager. In there click on the Options menu item and click 'Always on top'. Then click the Performance tab and then click on the Memory item in the left pane.

You can resize the Task Manager window as small as you like, as long as you can still see the Committed values near the bottom (there will be two numbers separated by a /, as an example they may look something like 7.6/10.3 GB). You can also move the window out of the way (even partially off the screen) as long as you can still see those Committed numbers - that's all we need to see in that window.

Now, use your PC normally and try to reproduce those things that cause it to become laggy. When it is lagging look at the left-hand Committed number (the smaller one). If that value ever goes above 8GB then you are paging memory and that's what is making the system laggy.

Reactions: BuBu Shofronea

BuBu Shofronea

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
Hi!

It's been a day since i reinstalled the GPU drivers the way Colif suggested.

It happened again to get laggy moments ago; I closed various amd-related processes and anything i could think of that might lag the windows; i managed to get it to work properly again only after killing windows explorer and re-running it;

I find it windows-related; Although i did a windows reset, i think i have to reinstall it back from scratch;

If anyone has any suggestion rather than reinstall on what to do. please post!

@ubuysa The committed memory was and still is over 8 gigs. It was before re-running windows explorer and lagging and it is as well now when it moves fine.