[SOLVED] Pointing to DDNS from the internal LAN

gtsolid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2016
Hi,
i'm using a DDNS service to connect to my mail server when i'm outside to company. It works well but when i'm using the local network it cannot connect.
Mi PC is x.x.1.27 and the mail server is x.x.1.4. They are in the same subnet but my PC uses the DDNS service.
I don't want to change manually in Outlook each time the configuration. So... Is there any way to solve this issue?

Solution
This is one of those if your router has the feature you never even knew this was a issue for some people.

When you attempt to access the external IP of your router (ie the DDNS name) both the source ip and destination IP are the same external IP. This confuses some routers because in effect the router thinks it is talking to itself.

To fix this some routers support a feature many times called "hairpin". It is not some official thing and most routers that support it do not even mention they do. Your router either have the feature or it does not and there is not much you can do.

There is no simple fix for this. As you mention you can change outlook. You can also put a entry in the host table on your machine to over ride the...
This is one of those if your router has the feature you never even knew this was a issue for some people.

When you attempt to access the external IP of your router (ie the DDNS name) both the source ip and destination IP are the same external IP. This confuses some routers because in effect the router thinks it is talking to itself.

To fix this some routers support a feature many times called "hairpin". It is not some official thing and most routers that support it do not even mention they do. Your router either have the feature or it does not and there is not much you can do.

There is no simple fix for this. As you mention you can change outlook. You can also put a entry in the host table on your machine to over ride the DNS. Not sure that is that much different than just changing outlook.

Solution