Info Points to remember while troubleshooting stuttering/performance issues

XANtheman

Prominent
Feb 12, 2022
Hello I created this thread for people who ask questions related to performance issues that they encounter. Here are some points from my own experience. I will add to this list if someone else has additional points-

1. Make sure that you have cleanly installed the chipset and GPU drivers. For example, with AMD chipset version 3.10.08.506, its a known issue that the installer sometimes fail to install latest drivers (it occured with me that the GPIO drivers were not installed correctly and device manager showed a roll back option which should be usually greyed out after fresh install). So it is recommended to use express install option to install the chipset drivers first then update the GPU drivers.

2. Always make sure that the video/benchmark you are using as a reference has the same game version as yours (it happened with me when I was troubleshooting issues with metro exodus).

3. Make sure that GPU-Z downclocks your PCIe express version to 1.1 when idle (see point 1) and install the last known correctly working BIOS version for your motherboard.

4. Always select max performance with Nvidia power options or AMD wattman (It happened with me in Far cry 4 that there was a difference of 2-3 frames in a stressful scene with trees and foliage.)

Last edited:
1. Make sure that you have cleanly installed the chipset and GPU drivers. For example, with AMD chipset version 3.10.08.506, its a known issue that the installer sometimes fail to install latest drivers (it occured with me that the GPIO drivers were not installed correctly and device manager showed a roll back option which should be usually greyed out after fresh install). So it is recommended to use express install option to install the chipset drivers first then update the GPU drivers.
I have an NVIDIA card. I don't know what you mean by "cleanly", I just update the drivers directly. Haven't had a problem doing this.

2. Always make sure that the video you are using as a reference has the same game version as yours (it happened with me when I was troubleshooting issues with metro exodus).
Can you elaborate on what this means?

3. Make sure that GPU-Z downclocks your PCIe express version to 1.1 when idle (see point 1) and install the latest BIOS for your motherboard.
You don't need to install the latest BIOS every time there's a new version.

4. Always select max performance with Nvidia power options or AMD wattman
I don't see the point to this. I keep mine on Optimal Power and I don't run into issues.

XANtheman

Prominent
Feb 12, 2022
I have an NVIDIA card. I don't know what you mean by "cleanly", I just update the drivers directly. Haven't had a problem doing this.

Can you elaborate on what this means?

You don't need to install the latest BIOS every time there's a new version.

I don't see the point to this. I keep mine on Optimal Power and I don't run into issues.
I have updated my thread with all answers to your questions.