Pokemon moves

Which psychic pokemon can learn the following moveset:
Psychic, Recover, Amnesia, Imprison.

Also, what's the point of Hariyama's Thick Fat?

"SHAKKmaster" <shakk_master@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Which psychic pokemon can learn the following moveset:
> Psychic, Recover, Amnesia, Imprison.

When did you start caring about what moves a Pokémon CAN learn?

> Also, what's the point of Hariyama's Thick Fat?

Stops it being burned or frozen, I believe, although what I've jotted down
in my notes[1] seems to imply that it might only take half damage from fire
and ice moves. I'm pretty sure it's the first, though.

--
Steffan

[1] Yes, I take notes as I play. My memory forces me to adopt a whole new
degree of geekdom.

Steffan Alun wrote:

> "SHAKKmaster" <shakk_master@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> > Which psychic pokemon can learn the following moveset:
> > Psychic, Recover, Amnesia, Imprison.

No Pokemon, Psychic or otherwise, can learn all four of those.

> > Also, what's the point of Hariyama's Thick Fat?
>
> Stops it being burned or frozen, I believe, although what I've jotted down
> in my notes[1] seems to imply that it might only take half damage from fire
> and ice moves. I'm pretty sure it's the first, though.

According to Meowth346, it's the latter. Water Veil keeps the Pokemon
from being burned, while Magma Armor keeps it from being frozen.

-- White Cat
http://pokedex.kary.ca/

Once upon a time SHAKKmaster decided to write:

> Which psychic pokemon can learn the following moveset:
> Psychic, Recover, Amnesia, Imprison.

Is imprison like Mean look?

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Chriz wrote:
> Once upon a time SHAKKmaster decided to write:
> > Which psychic pokemon can learn the following moveset:
> > Psychic, Recover, Amnesia, Imprison.
>
> Is imprison like Mean look?

As far as I know, it stops the opponent from using any moves it might have
in common with your Pokemon (no idea if the effect lasts until the end of
combat [and if the Imprisoned moves get updated to take into account your
new 'mon] or only until the 'mon who used Imprison switches out)

"Steffan Alun" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<cebvc2$mat$1@titan.btinternet.com>...
> "SHAKKmaster" <shakk_master@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Which psychic pokemon can learn the following moveset:
> > Psychic, Recover, Amnesia, Imprison.
>
> When did you start caring about what moves a Pokémon CAN learn?

I'm bored and I'm trying to breed the perfect anti-Mewtwo pokemon for
when FR/LG come out and Mewtwo are common on R/S.

> > Also, what's the point of Hariyama's Thick Fat?
>
> Stops it being burned or frozen, I believe, although what I've jotted down
> in my notes[1] seems to imply that it might only take half damage from fire
> and ice moves. I'm pretty sure it's the first, though.

I've noticed that water moves don't hurt them as much.

"Steffan Alun" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<cebvc2$mat$1@titan.btinternet.com>...
> "SHAKKmaster" <shakk_master@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Which psychic pokemon can learn the following moveset:
> > Psychic, Recover, Amnesia, Imprison.
>
> When did you start caring about what moves a Pokémon CAN learn?

Oh, and knock it off.

shakk_master@yahoo.com (SHAKKmaster) wrote in message news:<1b1aff48.0407310751.1e4cf639@posting.google.com>...
> "Steffan Alun" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<cebvc2$mat$1@titan.btinternet.com>...
> > "SHAKKmaster" <shakk_master@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Which psychic pokemon can learn the following moveset:
> > > Psychic, Recover, Amnesia, Imprison.
> >
> > When did you start caring about what moves a Pokémon CAN learn?
> >
> I'm bored and I'm trying to breed the perfect anti-Mewtwo pokemon for
> when FR/LG come out and Mewtwo are common on R/S.

I think you may be going about it the wrong way. Imprison's a good
thought, but it won't really be effective as an anti-Mewtwo strategy
until he's common enough to have a "standard" moveset. And
offensively it's not going to be very effective, since Mewtwo will
resist Psychic. In double battles it'll probably work fine (until it
catches on and people start bringing Mewtwos with Thunderbolt, Ice
Beam, Calm Mind, and Rest or something), especially if you're also
using something with escape prevention, but in single battles you're
in for either a long uphill crawl or death, depending on whether
Mewtwo brought the "right" moves.

Probably your best bet is going to be a Dark-type with Crunch.
Houndoom resists a lot of popular TMs (well, popular in the R/B days
anyway) and can double as a Shedinja killer. Not sure if it has good
enough stats for the job though.

-Andrusi &&
Sanity not included.

asverner@unity.ncsu.edu (Andrusi) wrote in message news:<d95427ae.0408011322.1aedb197@posting.google.com>...

> > > When did you start caring about what moves a Pokémon CAN learn?
> >
> > I'm bored and I'm trying to breed the perfect anti-Mewtwo pokemon for
> > when FR/LG come out and Mewtwo are common on R/S.
>
> I think you may be going about it the wrong way. Imprison's a good
> thought, but it won't really be effective as an anti-Mewtwo strategy
> until he's common enough to have a "standard" moveset.

And that won't even happen. Popular, uber monsters are usually
popular and uber because they're quite versatile, and this is true of
Mewtwo. I guess Imprison/Recover is a nice idea, but even Disable has
certain advantages over that (specifically, it's not really a wasted
move spot if Mewtwo DOESN'T show up).

> And
> offensively it's not going to be very effective, since Mewtwo will
> resist Psychic. In double battles it'll probably work fine (until it
> catches on and people start bringing Mewtwos with Thunderbolt, Ice
> Beam, Calm Mind, and Rest or something)

People will cotton on as soon as Imprison is used. People aren't
stupid. They'll work out which moves the two Pokémon COULD have in
common quite quickly, and will simply use other moves. This is why
Bide never caught on short of being an excellent move for taking out
GameSharking kids a few years back.

> Probably your best bet is going to be a Dark-type with Crunch.
> Houndoom resists a lot of popular TMs (well, popular in the R/B days
> anyway) and can double as a Shedinja killer.

For the record, ANY Dark type is a Shedinja killer - Shedinja's part
Ghost.

> Not sure if it has good
> enough stats for the job though.

Well, Mewtwo was part of the cause for the creation of Dark types
anyway, so Houndoom will certainly hold his own. Statwise, you could
also go for Tyranitar. You could also fight fire with fire and use a
Lugia, taking advantage of Mewtwo's Defense, which is somewhat worse
than its Special Defense, while enjoying a resistance to Psychic.

Thing is, Mewtwo's not as much of a problem as it used to be.
Kyogre's actually a bigger problem, but I've not seen many design
Pokémon specifically to combat that.

--
Steffan

asverner@unity.ncsu.edu (Andrusi) wrote in message news:<d95427ae.0408011322.1aedb197@posting.google.com>...
> shakk_master@yahoo.com (SHAKKmaster) wrote in message news:<1b1aff48.0407310751.1e4cf639@posting.google.com>...
> > "Steffan Alun" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<cebvc2$mat$1@titan.btinternet.com>...
> > > "SHAKKmaster" <shakk_master@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > When did you start caring about what moves a Pokémon CAN learn?
> > >
> > I'm bored and I'm trying to breed the perfect anti-Mewtwo pokemon for
> > when FR/LG come out and Mewtwo are common on R/S.
>
> I think you may be going about it the wrong way. Imprison's a good
> thought, but it won't really be effective as an anti-Mewtwo strategy
> until he's common enough to have a "standard" moveset. And
> offensively it's not going to be very effective, since Mewtwo will
> resist Psychic. In double battles it'll probably work fine (until it
> catches on and people start bringing Mewtwos with Thunderbolt, Ice
> Beam, Calm Mind, and Rest or something), especially if you're also
> using something with escape prevention, but in single battles you're
> in for either a long uphill crawl or death, depending on whether
> Mewtwo brought the "right" moves.

I just realized yesterday I was thinking about people with RBY
Mewtwos. Can Gardevoir be bred Recover?

> Probably your best bet is going to be a Dark-type with Crunch.
> Houndoom resists a lot of popular TMs (well, popular in the R/B days
> anyway) and can double as a Shedinja killer. Not sure if it has good
> enough stats for the job though.

Tyranitar'll do the job. My old Gold Tyranitar consistantly beat my
friend's Gold Mewtwo. But Tyr's not in Ru/Sa, unfortunately.

On 2 Aug 2004, SHAKKmaster wrote:
> I just realized yesterday I was thinking about people with RBY Mewtwos.
> Can Gardevoir be bred Recover?

Not in R/S (only Destiny Bond, Disable, Mean Look, Memento and Will 'O
Wisp; all of which can come through Duskull, BTW). Perhaps there might be
someone in the Indeterminate egg group that can pass on Recover from
FR/LG...

> Thing is, Mewtwo's not as much of a problem as it used to be.
> Kyogre's actually a bigger problem, but I've not seen many design
> Pokémon specifically to combat that.

The only pokemon that comes to mind for taking out Kyogre is Groudon, in
the sunny weather condition. (Solarbeam.)

Once upon a time luneric decided to write:

>> Thing is, Mewtwo's not as much of a problem as it used to be.
>> Kyogre's actually a bigger problem, but I've not seen many design
>> Pokémon specifically to combat that.
>
> The only pokemon that comes to mind for taking out Kyogre is Groudon,
> in the sunny weather condition. (Solarbeam.)

Yeah and it gets sunny upon coming out of its ball. Does it immediately rain
with Kyogre? What's its special ability.

Chriz wrote:
> Once upon a time luneric decided to write:
>

>>>Thing is, Mewtwo's not as much of a problem as it used to be.
>>>Kyogre's actually a bigger problem, but I've not seen many design
>>>Pokémon specifically to combat that.
>>
>>The only pokemon that comes to mind for taking out Kyogre is Groudon,
>>in the sunny weather condition. (Solarbeam.)
>

> Yeah and it gets sunny upon coming out of its ball. Does it immediately rain
> with Kyogre? What's its special ability.

Drought makes it sunny for Groudon, and in the same way Drizzle makes it
rain for Kyogre. I hate them both.

Once upon a time SHAKKmaster decided to write:

> Tyranitar'll do the job. My old Gold Tyranitar consistantly beat my
> friend's Gold Mewtwo. But Tyr's not in Ru/Sa, unfortunately.

Actually it can be. Just catch a female Tyranitar in Colosseum (if you have
it) and make it breed later in Ru/Sa when you can trade.

> I just realized yesterday I was thinking about people with RBY
> Mewtwos. Can Gardevoir be bred Recover?

No.

And the ultimate RBY Mewtwo was Ice Beam/Thunderwave/Recover/Amnesia anyway,
and the reason it was uber was because Special Attack and Special Defense
were one stat, and Amnesia boosted both by two stages. Mewtwo really isn't
any more powerful than Ho-oh, Lugia, Kyogre, Groudon or Rayquaza now, and
none of them are huge problems to the degrees chromatic Mewtwo was.

> > Probably your best bet is going to be a Dark-type with Crunch.
> > Houndoom resists a lot of popular TMs (well, popular in the R/B days
> > anyway) and can double as a Shedinja killer. Not sure if it has good
> > enough stats for the job though.
>
> Tyranitar'll do the job. My old Gold Tyranitar consistantly beat my
> friend's Gold Mewtwo. But Tyr's not in Ru/Sa, unfortunately.

Tyranitar's in Coli and Larvitar will be in FL.

--
Steffan

"luneric" <luneric@dontrit> wrote in message news:410e3ede_1@127.0.0.1...
> >>The only pokemon that comes to mind for taking out Kyogre is Groudon,
> >>in the sunny weather condition. (Solarbeam.)
> >
> > Yeah and it gets sunny upon coming out of its ball. Does it immediately
rain
> > with Kyogre? What's its special ability.
>
> Drought makes it sunny for Groudon, and in the same way Drizzle makes it
> rain for Kyogre. I hate them both.

Kyogre is hideously overpowered. Its Special Attack is insane, its Drizzle
ability is stupidly unfair, and it gets Water Spout - with STAB - of all
moves. Translation - 450 Base Damage, not to mention the fact that its
Special Attack makes every single bit of this count. If you're feeling
really mean, you can give it Mystic Water and almost reach 500 base damage.
Sure, during a Sunny Day, that'll go down to 125 (which, in case you hadn't
noticed, is still utterly mental), but since Groudon is weak to Water, we're
back up to 250.

In contrast, Groudon's Special Attack isn't quite as good as its physical
Attack, it doesn't get STAB on Solarbeam, and the boost to Fire moves
offered would be pointless if it's going one-on-one against Kyogre.

In summary, Groudon is a poor Pokémon to use specifically to counter Kyogre.

While I have no interest in actually using one, I like the idea of
Rayquaza's cancel-all-weather-effects ability. It comes in to say "alright,
alright, cut it out, we'll have no ubers beating up ordinary Pokémon here"
and goes on to mock them further by resisting most special-based moves.
Course, Kyogre will still have Ice Beam, since that's the law.

Personally, I beat Kyogre with a no-legendary clause.

--
Steffan

In article <2n8n0uFtappjU1@uni-berlin.de>,
Chriz <chrizizhere@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Once upon a time SHAKKmaster decided to write:
>
>> Tyranitar'll do the job. My old Gold Tyranitar consistantly beat my
>> friend's Gold Mewtwo. But Tyr's not in Ru/Sa, unfortunately.
>
>Actually it can be. Just catch a female Tyranitar in Colosseum (if you have
>it) and make it breed later in Ru/Sa when you can trade.

Which is precisely what I'm doing right now.

Not that it's going to have a ghost of a chance against Kyogre, but
that's true of most Pokemon.

david@thornley.net | If you don't, flee.

sha3@aber.ac.uk (Steffan Alun) wrote in message news:<7147bf5b.0408020428.355dfff2@posting.google.com>...
> Kyogre's actually a bigger problem, but I've not seen many design
> Pokémon specifically to combat that.

Kyogre, eh? I'm thinking Zapdos with Magnet. Highest SpAtk on an
Electric, IIRC (and yeah, you want Electric rather than Grass, since
Thunder benefits from Kyogre's ability whereas Solarbeam is hindered
by it). Trouble is, he's going to be weak to Ice Beam, so you have to
hope everything works just perfectly (a bit like fighting Mewtwo with
a Gengar, as I'm told some people did in RBY). So probably you'll
want another Pokémon with Thunder waiting in the wings.

I've been looking at Magneton (of course) and Jolteon as alternatives,
but I think Kyogre can learn Earthquake.

-Andrusi &&
Sanity not included.

Once upon a time David Thornley decided to write:

> In article <2n8n0uFtappjU1@uni-berlin.de>,
> Chriz <chrizizhere@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Once upon a time SHAKKmaster decided to write:
>>
>>> Tyranitar'll do the job. My old Gold Tyranitar consistantly beat my
>>> friend's Gold Mewtwo. But Tyr's not in Ru/Sa, unfortunately.
>>
>> Actually it can be. Just catch a female Tyranitar in Colosseum (if
>> you have it) and make it breed later in Ru/Sa when you can trade.
>>
> Which is precisely what I'm doing right now.
>
> Not that it's going to have a ghost of a chance against Kyogre, but
> that's true of most Pokemon.

Wouldn't Raikou be your best bet against a Kyogre? I didn't know it was so
powerful. I have Ruby after all.

--

The End.

> "luneric" <luneric@dontrit> wrote in message news:410e3ede_1@127.0.0.1...
>
> In contrast, Groudon's Special Attack isn't quite as good as its physical
> Attack, it doesn't get STAB on Solarbeam, and the boost to Fire moves
> offered would be pointless if it's going one-on-one against Kyogre.

OK - this is probably a stupid question...but what does 'STAB' mean?

Raph wrote:
> "Steffan Alun" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message
>>"luneric" <luneric@dontrit> wrote in message news:410e3ede_1@127.0.0.1...
>>In contrast, Groudon's Special Attack isn't quite as good as its physical
>>Attack, it doesn't get STAB on Solarbeam, and the boost to Fire moves
>>offered would be pointless if it's going one-on-one against Kyogre.
>
> OK - this is probably a stupid question...but what does 'STAB' mean?

Same Type Attack Bonus. Water pokemon do more damage with water
attacks, fire pokemon with fire attacks, and so forth. I think it's a
roughly 50% increase.

"Raph" <raph1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > In contrast, Groudon's Special Attack isn't quite as good as its
physical
> > Attack, it doesn't get STAB on Solarbeam, and the boost to Fire moves
> > offered would be pointless if it's going one-on-one against Kyogre.
>
> OK - this is probably a stupid question...but what does 'STAB' mean?

Same Type Attack Bonus. If the Pokémon uses a move of its own type, the
move does 50% more damage than normal.

For instance, a Pikachu's Thunderbolt will start off with 50% more power
than a Starmie's Thunderbolt.

A dual type gets this bonus on BOTH moves - so Quagsire, for instance, gets
a 50% bonus on both Ground and Water moves.

This is true of all types, including Normal - a Chansey using Hyper Beam,
for instance, gets the bonus also.

--
Steffan

>>In contrast, Groudon's Special Attack isn't quite as good as its physical
>>Attack, it doesn't get STAB on Solarbeam, and the boost to Fire moves
>>offered would be pointless if it's going one-on-one against Kyogre.
>
> OK - this is probably a stupid question...but what does 'STAB' mean?

Heh. I have no clue what it means for ages, and when I find out I use it
and confuse more people.

> I've been looking at Magneton (of course) and Jolteon as alternatives,
> but I think Kyogre can learn Earthquake.

Magneton is the electric of my team, and a hydro pump from nearly any
water pokemon on COLI always takes him out. Although it may just be my
bad training. =(

Kyogre can cover all it's weaknesses. Mine knew Earthquake, Icebeam,
Surf and Water Spout.