POLL CALL Those Darn ATA 66 Cables!!!!!! grrrrrrrr

G

In my experience those ata 66/100 cables
the hard kind with the tough plastic
I hate them!

I have damaged many of these (cables) just trying to unhook it from the back of drives!

Any of u have bad experiences with these?
Any BTW why are they so hard and brittle??
the old style ones at least they are flexable and to break so easy

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I honestly do not know how much power you used to snap the cable out of the HDD. I have no problems at all. They are so brittle because they have double the number of wires running compared to the old IDE cables. One thing I hate about that though is that they get 'wrinkled' easily and quite defficult to handle.

-------------
This site is cool.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
brittle? I was smacking one over the side of my chair and it still works perfectly. maybe you'res had an experience with LN.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
They shurely suck, but if you keep making same mistake over and over that means you are at wrong buisiness.

Beer! Good!
-James Hatefild

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Some half-pitch cables are like that, both single-ended wide SCSI and ATA66/100 (half-pitch being the ATA66 cable, where ATA33 cable is full-pitch). Full-pitch cables are generally more flexible and less costly, but of course, making an 80-pin full-pitch ribbon cable would just be ridiculous. There wouldn't be enough room to fit something so wide on the back of your drive...

Hitachi flat cable (common stock cable material) seems to be especially bad about having brittle insulation. AMP flat cable is much less brittle but costs a great deal more than your standard cable.

Also, whatever brand ATA66 cable you use, do <b>not</b> fold, crease, or stack it unless you have to. That sort of thing leads to erratic performance in an ATA66 bus.

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg" target="_new">http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg</A>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I have had no problems like that and I'm not nice to those cables neither!

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

i installed one last night with my friends new drive
brand new

maxtor 20 gig 7200 rpm

and the cable cracked it was so brittle

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Maybe it's just because some are cheaper and lower quality. Most of my cables come from packaged retail boxes (mostly motherboard, and from Asus).

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What do you mean "<i>cracked</i>"? You mean torn? Show us a picture if possible. I haven't seen a cable with plastic reinforcement with copper got torn before.

-------------
This site is cool.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
This is the first I have heard of any problems with the ATA66/100 cables .... I haven't had any problems and I use them like water!

I would like to see a picture to ... just cause I am curious ...

<font color=green>"Your call will be answered by the next available Tech Support representative"</font color=green>

G

What i mean by cracked is the cable coming apart from the connector and u hear cracking

the ones i have used are all very brittle especially working with a brand new drive

I have had many connectors snap off of the cable!
ANd i am VERY cautious and slow doing this too.

The one my friend had came with his WD hard drive and
it was like dry the cable and it was flexible yes but bending and curving it bloddy damn well cracked..

sheesh

i cant get a pic as i have no cam
but maybe i can scan it
hmm

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So it is torn when you pull the cable out of the port with by pulling the cable itself? Hmm. Perhaps you should try pulling the plug itself. Curious to get the pic hehe...

-------------
This site is cool.

G

>>What i mean by cracked is the cable coming apart from the connector and u hear cracking<<

You think that's been on the shelf awhile? You should pull out a heat gun to make these cables pliable and optionally treat with armor all.

On a side note even though I've not had this happened to me, I'm really not surprised given the nature of the cables especially if people live in dryer climates (I'm not saying anybody does on this thread). And it's certainly more likely to happen to cables that are older.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

martyjr

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
you must have big mitts if you are breaking cables but like they say if the size of your hands are any indication at least your woman must be happy

G

Well i have kinda average sized hands
and its not me..

its the cables

pulling the connector out of a new hard drive
the cables like come apart
and crack

honest

cheap cables maybe

G

What are ATA66/100 cables? I only use U160 SCSI cables on my machines. :>)

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I never had a problem with them. Try to not pull them off from the wire ribbon.

=
<font color=green>Running Celery 400 since 1999.</font color=green>