Poll: Wait for the geforce3 price to go down?

G

I will be waiting quite some time before buying the gee3, what about you?

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Let's put it this way: My only use for such a card would be gaming. Playstation 2 is only about $300, hell even X-Box will likely launch around $400.

$600 for a card, however admittedly sweet, is just ridiculous...especially when you consider it will be at least another 6 months before there is a solid software base that takes advantage of its power.

Conclusion: I will not be buying one anytime soon.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Well I need to find out much more information about the card, such as 2d quality, DVD playing ability, driver stability etc. Right now I have no future plans to buy this card. I am interested in the technology but not enough to want one yet.

G

Mainly because by the time the price goes down, they'll have released the next revision!

Charles

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would like to hold out 'til next year. This fall hopefully ATI will have their new card and Nvidia will have their improved model. Then I have to wait for the price drop. That's a lot of waiting. I don't even need the thing but I would still love to have it adn the next it and . . . .

I'm worse than my son!!!

Well by that time Doom should be coming and other games which may need it.

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
This should go in the POLLS section.

That aside though, I'd get one right away to go in the new system that I'll be building.

Why?

1) No official price has been stated yet. For all we know it'll cost only $300 and the rest of the NVIDIA cards will drop in price.

2) Even if it costs $600 when it comes out, the performance gains will be worth the buy. It doesn't matter that the games to use it fully won't become available until the XBox comes out, because I'll still be playing games at high resolutions with a good frame rate right away.

3) The much faster FSAA will definately be something I can benefit from now as well.

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

G

hey slvr_, check hercule's website. Their Geforce$$$ based card is retailing for $529.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, but come on. I mean it isn't even on the market yet. Once several companies are actually delivering their graphics cards using the GeForce3 GPU we'll be seeing real prices, not made up prices or suggested prices. Any pricing this early is pure guesswork.

And even if it goes for $800 at first, it'll still be worth it to me for contructing a new system.

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Doom whon't be out until 2002 and who knows how early in 2002 either. Who knows about performance yet? Definately not worth it. Plus Radeon seams to be sooner than I think. A litle after the GF3. May even have a release soon

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>

G

...and we are back to the same old problem of "Won't buy it because what it has won't be supported for donkeys years, but if we don't buy it, then the game manufacturers aren't going to bother implementing it, because no one is using it, so gamers have to buy it to make the manufacturers use it, who probably won't use it until there is a respectable number out there, which won't happen until the price goes down, which won't happen until people buy more of them, which won't happen, because there aren't games that use the fancy bits...'

Gotta love graphics technology flow ;)

G

I was going to post in the polls but it would get smothered by the pointless crap like how old you are or what gender polls.

Traditionally nvidia and other graphics companies release their product for around 450-500 and hold out at that price for a while and reduce it often in preparation for the next release. Only thing different this time is that it is starting at 500-600.

I believe to AA will be very useful and the high res is what I want but it isn't anywhere near the price of 500-600.