Question Poll - What is your strategy for replacing 5-8 year old computer build failed components?

Jul 24, 2020
Trying to make a poll, but I cannot preview it in the poll section, not sure if the poll will work.

What is your strategy for replacing 5-8 year old computer build components, as the old components fail?
(Assuming your current components meet your computer needs and that your computer habits do not change).

As your 5-8 year old computer components fail and you replace them, do you...
  1. pretend that you are building a new computer and select the new replacing component based on that?
  2. Look at all your 5-8 year old components and replace the motherboard, CPU, memory, and if necessary graphics card?
  3. replace the failed component with one that matches your old system limitations (probably cheaper than '1' above)?

Jul 24, 2020
I decided to replace my dead GTX 670 with a GTX 1660 Super, which I categorize as option 1 "pretend that you are building a new computer and select the new replacing component based on that" for my budget.

If it were a dead motherboard, I would probably replace motherboard, CPU and memory. Polls only give you a limited number of characters in the poll.