Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Current system:
Windows 8.1
8GB RAM
i7-4770k
2x EVGA 780Ti's
Silent Master Silent 1200w PSU

I've been experiencing some strange issues lately and I need some help troubleshooting the problems...My FPS and performance is greatly increased when I use one card instead of SLI when playing games. Examples... In Path of Exile with vsync ON I dip under 60fps down to ~40 or so quite often with SLI enabled. When I'm only using one card I've never dipped below the vsync rate @ 60.

With DotA 2 I'll fluctuate between 54-60...
BF4 I get frequently dip below the refresh rate as well...

I'm running the most recent drivers. I've ran 3D mark benchmarks using each of the cards separately, and in SLI mode and everything appears to be copacetic.

Any thoughts? Or any additional information I can provide? Most of what I play doesn't require SLI to be enabled in order to achieve a good framerate, but when I do want to play a game that can benefit from it... (BF4/Dage once it comes out) I'd like to be able to utilize what I paid for.

Solution

Ag3ofShadows

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

So, I did this using a tool from guru3d which wipes out the previous driver and allows you to install a completely fresh driver which didn't improve my issue.

TheAterix

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

ill give you an answer, both of those games are really unoptimised for that setup, sli and crossfire just arent supported very well unless it is a massive games company, ie EA, Activision etc...
Give it a try without V-sync as you could be putting out WAAAAAY too many frames as your basically only using like 60% of 1 gpu by locking it, just give that a try and see what happens.

Solution

Ag3ofShadows

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

I'll turn V-Sync off and see how it runs with both SLI activated. My problem with it is it requires both cards to work much harder, run hotter, and consume more power.. all of which is unnecessary lol.

I'll also install some main-stream games by EA etc and see how they perform with SLI enabled. It blows away the 3D Mark benchmark results , but when it comes to games it suffers which leads me to believe it's an optimization issue as you mentioned earlier.

TheAterix

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

why buy beast cards just to throttle them... why not just a single 970? surely before you bought the cards you would know they consume a fair amount of power? and create fair amounts of heat...

TRENDING THREADS