[SOLVED] Poor Benchmark results on older system, requesting advice on which component(S) to upgrade first

shabac

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
I have been in the market and considering upgrading my existing machine. After running a benchmark yesterday (userbenchmark PC) I received multiple indicators the machine is functioning poorly. Here are my current components:

UserBenchmarks: Game 30%, Desk 84%, Work 60%
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K - 81.9%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 980 Ti - 22.2%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB - 100.2%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB - 96.3%
SSD: Samsung 840 250GB - 72.9%
HDD: Seagate Desktop HDD 6TB (2014) - 98%
HDD: Seagate Desktop HDD 6TB (2014) - 107.3%
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3000 C15 4x8GB - 75.5%
MBD: Asus Z170-DELUXE

I enjoy playing games like Skyrim, Far Cry 5, RDR2, and Civ 6. I'm not opposed to doing a complete rebuild, however, I would need to take it in steps over the course of months (budget limitations would not allow for purchasing everything new at one time). For my first phase, I have around $600 to spend. My gut feeling is to focus on the video card first, but then someone at work mentioned considering replacing the mobo/CPU first. I would appreciate any feedback from this group! Thank you in advance,

Scott

Solution
You still have a pretty good system. Something is wrong with your GPU as the 980ti should score higher. Leave a link with the userbenchmark results.

I suggest trouble shooting your current rig before buying a new one. You still have one of the better gaming CPUs on the market. The 980ti has comparable performance to a 1070, which is a very good GPU.

What are your CPU/GPU temps under load? Your CPU could be in thermal throttle. Which will slow everything else down.

You may have a driver issue. Try doing a clean uninstall of the GPU drivers in safemode using the DDU tool below. Then download the current drivers from Nvidia.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Temps and drivers is...
Your system is not too many miles away from mine, so I have no idea why they are saying the 980ti is 22.2%.
Maybe you should use DDU and remove your drivers as it says in safemode and update to the latest version from Nvidia website.
Something very weird if happening if your computer is running bad.

As with anything, if you changed everything else to the latest and greatest, you'd still struggle if you didn't change the GPU, so the GPU has to be the first thing to upgrade, but saying that. I still don't understand why you are performing so low on it.

You still have a pretty good system. Something is wrong with your GPU as the 980ti should score higher. Leave a link with the userbenchmark results.

I suggest trouble shooting your current rig before buying a new one. You still have one of the better gaming CPUs on the market. The 980ti has comparable performance to a 1070, which is a very good GPU.

What are your CPU/GPU temps under load? Your CPU could be in thermal throttle. Which will slow everything else down.

You may have a driver issue. Try doing a clean uninstall of the GPU drivers in safemode using the DDU tool below. Then download the current drivers from Nvidia.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Temps and drivers is the first place I would start because they are easy to detect and very common.

Solution