Poor Gaming Performance (Not FPS Lag or Ping Lag)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pridagio

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Hi, I've been having gaming performance issues on all of my games. My games seem to lag as if it were FPS lag but my FPS counter is at the usual high frame rates. It isn't ping related as this happens on offline games too.

I had this problem prior and it was temporarily solved by clearing out space on my SSD. Despite having space on my SSD, I'm still having performance problems. Here's a benchmark I did:
http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/9939112

Please help!

Solution
Hmm I believe I have figured it out.

The CPU usage readings for idle "not running any programs" is actually higher, 80%, than your usage while running Overwatch, 73%

Your temperature readings confirm something strange is indeed going on

Idle
54°C - 57°C

Overwatch
57°C - 61°C

I would expect the difference to be much greater than 4 degrees between Idle and gaming.

The GPU generating extra heat may be the reason for higher temperatures but lower overall cpu usage.

Any cpu usage at idle above 0% isn't truely idle, although for an actual usage 3-5% is perfectly acceptable.

I would check the task manager and see what is stealing 73-80% of your cpu.

A Monero mining virus comes to mind
Hmm I believe I have figured it out.

The CPU usage readings for idle "not running any programs" is actually higher, 80%, than your usage while running Overwatch, 73%

Your temperature readings confirm something strange is indeed going on

Idle
54°C - 57°C

Overwatch
57°C - 61°C

I would expect the difference to be much greater than 4 degrees between Idle and gaming.

The GPU generating extra heat may be the reason for higher temperatures but lower overall cpu usage.

Any cpu usage at idle above 0% isn't truely idle, although for an actual usage 3-5% is perfectly acceptable.

I would check the task manager and see what is stealing 73-80% of your cpu.

A Monero mining virus comes to mind

Solution

Pridagio

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Just checked task manager and Google Chrome was using 74% of my CPU. Ended the task and performance is MUCH better. I have no idea what could've caused this. Going to run virus scans on windows defender, do ya'll have any thing good for cleaning browsers?