[SOLVED] Poor graphics and stuttering but no frame drops?

alexxthegreaat

Reputable
Oct 27, 2017
Specs:
OS- W10
CPU- I7-8700k
Mem- 32gb of Corsair Vengeance 3200
GPU- ASUS Turbo 1080 Ti
MoBo- asus rog maximus x hero (wi-fi ac)
PSU- Seasonic X-1050 Gold
Drives- *PNY SSD 120gb(My OS is on this) *Samsung Evo NVME 960 1TB(where all my games are stored. *2 WD Black 1TB(general storage for movies or pictures etc)

I went on a mini 4 day vacation for the Holidays and after i can back home my computer was playing Rainbow Six Siege terribly. I had stutters and it looked like a youtube video trying to buffer with bad internet when a lot was going on. I looked at my CPU and GPU usage but they were steady. Heres what ive been able to narrow down. Its not the GPU because i put the GPU in another computer and it worked fine. Its not the GPU drivers because i uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers using DDU. Its not the NVME drive where i store my games because i uninstalled Rainbow and reinstalled it on my PNY SSD and it still ran terribly. I also checked the logs and i saw no errors. I am not overclocking the CPU or GPU. Im suspecting its the CPU, but when i opened task manager and accidentally fullscreen it, i saw the power usage for Rainbow was "Very High". So maybe its my PSU? Anyone have any ideas or what i should do next?

Solution
If you "think" you did, I'd encourage you to try that again and keep some notes. I always assume it's a software problem until I've exhausted every possibility...especially since you didn't make any changes to your configuration in those 4 days away (unless you changed something right before you left or right when you got home).

One thing I've encountered recently is that some of the Windows updates don't play well with some of those background services/tasks. When I find the culprit, I either update Windows (maybe MS figured out the problem in the meantime) OR update the other background software, as the recent Windows update may have broken something which they have subsequently fixed.

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
If this were me, one of the first things I would try is to force a Windows update.

The second thing I would do is to close ALL programs running in the background (or as many as you possibly can), then try the game again. If it's better, start re-enabling the background services ONE at a time and see which one is the culprit.

alexxthegreaat

Reputable
Oct 27, 2017
I think i actually did try this. I stopped my mouse software, soundcard driver, discord, bluetooth, you name it. And it still had this problem. How do i force a windows update and what would that do? It shows i am up to date.

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
If you "think" you did, I'd encourage you to try that again and keep some notes. I always assume it's a software problem until I've exhausted every possibility...especially since you didn't make any changes to your configuration in those 4 days away (unless you changed something right before you left or right when you got home).

One thing I've encountered recently is that some of the Windows updates don't play well with some of those background services/tasks. When I find the culprit, I either update Windows (maybe MS figured out the problem in the meantime) OR update the other background software, as the recent Windows update may have broken something which they have subsequently fixed.

Solution

alexxthegreaat

Reputable
Oct 27, 2017
Well i was considering doing a fresh install of windows again and only install the newest video drivers. If even after a fresh install i still have this problem i will safely say its a hardware issue. But before i do that i will turn off background software and attempt to play a match and see what happens.