[SOLVED] Poor Internet Speeds througgh ethernet!

Aug 29, 2020
Hi all, i am new to the forum and have used posts from here in the past so i figured lets ask!

So i just rewired my house with Cat6 cables from my router for better internet speeds to all the computers in the house.
I hardwired my computer with a ASUS tuff gaming x570-plus (wifi) motherboard to my router which is on the Gigabit plan from verizon. All the computers in the house are posting very good numbers from Speedtest.net, except mine. I tried a different cable, and i even used the same cable on my brothers computer and a macbook pro and mine seems to be the only one that doesn't deliver great speeds. Just for refrence, these are the results:
My computer: 670/280
Brothers computer (same board, same wire): 850/930
Macbook Pro (same cable): 930/920

i checked the drivers to make sure they're updated, Check. I unintalled the driver and restarted my computer, Check.

Is it possible that the LAN port on the motherboard can be faulty and thus the result of this problem?

Solution
Asus likes to bundle crap network software accelerators with their motherboards. On very fast connection this causes a lot of overhead....even on some not so fast ones. Make sure none of the "gamer" network software or other any other form of network QoS software is installed.

If it is not that try to get the latest drivers for your ethernet chipset directly from the chipset vendor. Most asus boards now only use realtek or intel, they stopped using killer I think.

Be sure to set windows update to not load any drivers....you may want to put windows into no automatic updates in general since microsoft has messed things up so bad lately.
Hi all, i am new to the forum and have used posts from here in the past so i figured lets ask!

So i just rewired my house with Cat6 cables from my router for better internet speeds to all the computers in the house.
I hardwired my computer with a ASUS tuff gaming x570-plus (wifi) motherboard to my router which is on the Gigabit plan from verizon. All the computers in the house are posting very good numbers from Speedtest.net, except mine. I tried a different cable, and i even used the same cable on my brothers computer and a macbook pro and mine seems to be the only one that doesn't deliver great speeds. Just for refrence, these are the results:
My computer: 670/280
Brothers computer (same board, same wire): 850/930
Macbook Pro (same cable): 930/920

i checked the drivers to make sure they're updated, Check. I unintalled the driver and restarted my computer, Check.

Is it possible that the LAN port on the motherboard can be faulty and thus the result of this problem?
It is possible, however it sounds like something else is at play here is you computer plugged into the first router spot. It delivers internet in order to the devices. So who ever is port 1 will get the strongest resption person plugged into port 6 will have the weakest

Aug 29, 2020
It is possible, however it sounds like something else is at play here is you computer plugged into the first router spot. It delivers internet in order to the devices. So who ever is port 1 will get the strongest resption person plugged into port 6 will have the weakest
sorry forgot to mention, i played with the plugs as well. Replaced first port with mine, no drastic improvements.

There's some sort of setting in windows like 'automatic network tuning' or something like that, that I have seen cause this problem. Do a search and I'm sure you'll bump into it as it is a common issue. Hopefully changing that setting will fix the issue because everything else sounds like it's working fine.

If you want to rule out the lan port (which I don't think is bad because you're getting fast results, just not gigabit), boot up a linux live cd/usb and test there--which I expect would test at full speed since I don't think the port is bad.

Aug 29, 2020
There's some sort of setting in windows like 'automatic network tuning' or something like that, that I have seen cause this problem. Do a search and I'm sure you'll bump into it as it is a common issue. Hopefully changing that setting will fix the issue because everything else sounds like it's working fine.

If you want to rule out the lan port (which I don't think is bad because you're getting fast results, just not gigabit), boot up a linux live cd/usb and test there--which I expect would test at full speed since I don't think the port is bad.
after disabling the automatic network tuning, the speeds got better by 10 Mbps. the lack of upload speed is what is concerning to me honestly

Aug 29, 2020
Hmm...that's not enough in my book. Try the linux live cd/usb test. If you don't get full speed there, then we definitely need to dig back into the nic and/or network.
So after doing the live USB test, the speeds on a different operating system are well over 900/900. Im assuming theres some settings in windows that are ruining my connection speeds, correct?

Asus likes to bundle crap network software accelerators with their motherboards. On very fast connection this causes a lot of overhead....even on some not so fast ones. Make sure none of the "gamer" network software or other any other form of network QoS software is installed.

If it is not that try to get the latest drivers for your ethernet chipset directly from the chipset vendor. Most asus boards now only use realtek or intel, they stopped using killer I think.

Be sure to set windows update to not load any drivers....you may want to put windows into no automatic updates in general since microsoft has messed things up so bad lately.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
Aug 29, 2020
Hmm...that's not enough in my book. Try the linux live cd/usb test. If you don't get full speed there, then we definitely need to dig back into the nic and/or network.

so after doing some research i figured it out! Apparently the "Dragon Center" app that i installed with my MSI 2080 super graphics card has something called cfosspeed which messes with download and upload speeds. there's a setting in the app that allows you to turn off LAN management, but even after that my upload speeds were still very low. I decided to uninstall the app, delete the exisitng driver and rebooting my computer. All is good now! AVOID THE DRAGON CENTER APP!

Thank you guys for all your help, learned alot in the process.

Reactions: SamirD