[SOLVED] Poor LAN speeds of 1Gbps between two computers unless physically connected.

Aarix

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2014
This is a bit of a different circumstance than what I was able to find anywhere else.

I have 2 Windows PC. Both have 1 gig NIC, cat 6 cables. The router/modem does 1gbps and the switch I have does that too.
Switch is a NETGEAR GS108T and Router is an ARRIS touchstone.

When transferring files from one to the other, the speeds are about 1-6 Mb/s. This was with one big test file. The kicker is when I directly plug them in via one Ethernet cable, I get the desired speeds (90-120mb/s)

It used to work for like 30 minutes until I sighed a breath of relief. I factory reset/rebooted the switch when they were plugged into that, slow speeds. I factory reset/rebooted the modem/router when they both were plugged into that. Slow speeds. LSO is disabled. I confirmed speeds were negotiated to 1Gbps via properties and the color of light on the NIC. Latest drivers/updates, etc. There are no network altering software. I don't know where else I can poke a stick at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kanewolf

Titan
This is a bit of a different circumstance than what I was able to find anywhere else.

I have 2 Windows PC. Both have 1 gig NIC, cat 6 cables. The router/modem does 1gbps and the switch I have does that too.
Switch is a NETGEAR GS108T and Router is an ARRIS touchstone.

When transferring files from one to the other, the speeds are about 1-6 Mb/s. This was with one big test file. The kicker is when I directly plug them in via one Ethernet cable, I get the desired speeds (90-120mb/s)

It used to work for like 30 minutes until I sighed a breath of relief. I factory reset/rebooted the switch when they were plugged into that, slow speeds. I factory reset/rebooted the modem/router when they both were plugged into that. Slow speeds. LSO is disabled. I confirmed speeds were negotiated to 1Gbps via properties and the color of light on the NIC. Latest drivers/updates, etc. There are no network altering software. I don't know where else I can poke a stick at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you want to verify network speed, then use a network only test tool iPerf -- https://iperf.fr/ That will eliminate the file system and disk limitations.

Aarix

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2014
If you want to verify network speed, then use a network only test tool iPerf -- https://iperf.fr/ That will eliminate the file system and disk limitations.
I've tried without any success. It said the server was running when I put it on one computer and the other computer could not find it in client mode even with both firewall's off and I was already stressed enough troubleshooting one issue.

Aarix

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2014
So even when these two systems are connected to the switch on the modem/router vs the netgear switch the problem still happens?
Correct. Just figured out that even though I specifically disabled flow control on the switch, I caught it enabled. That fixed the speed issue. I appreciate the response. Hopefully someone comes across this thread when in a similar predicament.

Last edited: