Poor latency, good speeds?

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Hi all!

Okay, so a bit of background info first:

My ISP is Virgin and we have recently had our speed doubled. I think we were on 30mb/s before, making it 60mb/s now, but I can't be sure because it's my dad (I'm not 5 years old or anything don't worry XD) who pays for the connection and he wont tell me a thing about it (He's a bit of a prat like that), which FYI also means he won't let me change any settings such as port forwarding, DMZ or channel. Although I can access these settings as I know the username and password anyway. =P

We are using the Virgin Media Superhub, but the old one. We haven't been offered the new one yet.

Due to where my PC is situated inside the house I can only get a very weak signal from the hub downstairs. So I bought myself a Devlo DLan kit (Link below) which for those who are unfamilliar, turns the electrical wiring in the house into a hardwired internet connection (Basically). This is done by plugging a unit into a wall socket which is then connected to the hub via an ethernet cable, and then you plug another unit (The reciever) into whichever room you want the signal to get to (Or rooms depending on how many additional recievers you have) which can then provide a wireless signal, or it also have three ethernet ports that can be used. It's like having the hub in the room with you, but without all the faffing around trying to wire in a phone/broadband line.

http://www.devolo.co.uk/consumer/77_dlan-200-av-wireless-n_starter-kit_product-presentation_1.html?l=en

I am currently using an ethernet cable for my connection (CAT 5E), but the problem I am about to describe to you occurs on both wired and wireless using both the Virgin hub and the Devlo.

Okay, so basically whenever I am downloading something I regularly get around 5-6mb/s (On wired, wireless is normally around 3-4mb/s). But whenever I am playing an online game, while I can connect with no issues I regularly experience lag spikes of the most horrendous kind. In order to find out whats going on I have been running ping tests on command prompt regularly for the last week or so (ping google.com -t, pinging the internal server/IP gives a regular result of 1ms with no change) and while the ping is normally between 10-40ms which is fine, every so often there will be a spike where the ping will shoot up to anything from 100ms to 1000+ms. How long this spike lasts is somewhat random, but it's never lasted more than a few seconds. sometimes it will be over as soon as it started, other times it will take up to 3-4 seconds.

These lag spikes happen on all my devices that I play online games on, PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One, and the games that I play most regularly are COD BO2 (PC), COD Ghosts (XBONE), B3 (PC), B4 (PC) and GTA V (360).

As I'm sure you can understand this latency issue is very annoying as I mostly play FPS games, and as a result some days it is almost impossible to play.

If anyone has any suggestions or possible solutions I would be most happy to hear them. =)

Run a traceroute to one of the locations.

Now run a ping to the internal router, the second hop in the trace (which should be the first ISP router outside your house), and the end point all at the same time in different cmd windows.

Pretty much the first one tests you connection to the router inside your house. The second tests the connection from your house to the ISP including the modem in your router and the cabling to the ISP. Anything after this is someplace in the ISP network. You can ping varies different hops in the trace but the only ones you likely will be able to get fixed are stuff in your house and in the connection to your house.

grebgonebad

Distinguished

Thanks for your reply, most appreciated. =)

I shall try these tests tonight and see what results I get.