[SOLVED] Poor PC performance

Aug 21, 2019
Hey, thought maybe you guys could help. I have ran out of ideas.

My PC has been acting strange recently. Lower fps than usual in every game I've tried. Few days ago I could play for like 30 minutes max and then it would drop to constant 20-30 fps and then sometimes it worked fine. Just completely random. Like yesterday I played a full CS match without any problems (200+ fps as it should be). But today I couldn't even play that 30 minutes, had 50 fps in lobby from the start.

SPECS:
i7 6700K 4GHz (not overclocked)
GeForce GTX 970
16gb RAM
MSI Z170A mobo
main storage Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2

The temps are fine , so there's not the problem.

Tried everything that I could think of, googled for solutions and tried these, still nothing. Just finished resetting the entire computer and even that did not work.
Hoping to find an answer here :)

Solution
Basically today my CPU clock speed was gapped at 800 mhz, not even those shifts anymore. Googled it up, and turns out a lot of people who have the same MOBO as I do (MSI Z170A M5) have had that problem. (not sure yet if that is caused by the motherboard or the cpu). So what's happening is that the thermal sensors for the CPU are going bad after time (that's what it seems like). And with that bios setting "Intel adaptive thermal monitor" is enabled because it thinks that the CPU is overheating and clocks it down to 800mhz. I disabled this setting but I wouldn't like to keep it that way, still looking better fix for it.
Aug 21, 2019
make and model of the psu?
what the cpu/gpu usage?
ram usage?
malware scan?
Power supply is Chieftec GTG-750c

Usages while browsing in Chrome:
CPU and GPU both about 5%
RAM 15-20%

While playing CSGO:
GPU around 40%
CPU 30-50%, sometimes for a sec 70%
RAM around 5000 MB

And for malware I ran a quick test with Kaspersky yesterday, this didn't show anything.

Aug 21, 2019
Hey, thought maybe you guys could help. I have ran out of ideas.

My PC has been acting strange recently. Lower fps than usual in every game I've tried. Few days ago I could play for like 30 minutes max and then it would drop to constant 20-30 fps and then sometimes it worked fine. Just completely random. Like yesterday I played a full CS match without any problems (200+ fps as it should be). But today I couldn't even play that 30 minutes, had 50 fps in lobby from the start.

SPECS:
i7 6700K 4GHz (not overclocked)
GeForce GTX 970
16gb RAM
MSI Z170A mobo
main storage Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2

The temps are fine , so there's not the problem.

Tried everything that I could think of, googled for solutions and tried these, still nothing. Just finished resetting the entire computer and even that did not work.
Hoping to find an answer here :)
Games and maps also take longer to load up. Could there be anything with my SSD?

Aug 21, 2019
Hey again. So I found this benchmark site called UserBenchmarks, idk how trustworthy their results are but their website looks legit. And this benchmark found that my CPU is underperforming. And since CSGO is very CPU intensive I thought that could be the problem.

Here are the results:

Aug 30, 2019
look at the processor temperatures and the others it doesn't hurt either in the bios or with software like hwmonitor or others...

maybe the thermal paste is tired, it depends on its
age and for the moment the processor trootle

Aug 21, 2019
I now know where the mistake is. My PC has some weird shifts in it’s clock speeds. Sometimes it’s dropping to like 800 MHz while gaming, and that is causing FPS to drop. But it seems like when I open CPU Z program it usually performs as it should. But when I forget to open it as soon as my computer has booted it doesn’t and starts dropping frames. I don’t know how the program does this but these two are connected.
I was thinking if buying new CPU would solve the problem? Don’t really want to spend 200+ € if this does not fix my problem.
Hope you guys understand what I tried to explain here.

Aug 30, 2019
It reminds me of something, it's like if something goes "on standby" and asks for a certain amount of latency to restart, hence the decrease in fps...
I say that because if you launch cpuz, which updates the devices every x seconds, it would prevent the famous thing whose name we don't know from going into "standby mode" because it is always called by cpuz...
Maybe look in the suspension of the PCIE line, of a disk (and especially the one where the games are located), the power settings are also a place where I would go digging and as long as I go to the bios to see if something would not have a connection with all this and maybe make a clear cmos

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 21, 2019
Basically today my CPU clock speed was gapped at 800 mhz, not even those shifts anymore. Googled it up, and turns out a lot of people who have the same MOBO as I do (MSI Z170A M5) have had that problem. (not sure yet if that is caused by the motherboard or the cpu). So what's happening is that the thermal sensors for the CPU are going bad after time (that's what it seems like). And with that bios setting "Intel adaptive thermal monitor" is enabled because it thinks that the CPU is overheating and clocks it down to 800mhz. I disabled this setting but I wouldn't like to keep it that way, still looking better fix for it.

Solution
Aug 30, 2019
Have you touched the settings of the voltages of one or more components of the PC? If so, uninstall the xtu or other tuning and then do a reset bios.

TRENDING THREADS