Poor performance after upgrade to GTX1060

thebadbone23

Reputable
Oct 19, 2017
Hi guys,
First I want to start saying that I did read a lot on this site and on other ones and tried so many things but nothing fixed my issues. I've decided to make an account here and ask you guys,maybe there is something I'm missing.
About the issue I have:
I recently upgraded my GPU from a 750TI to a GTX 1060 3GB (Gigabyte if it matters) and to be honest my PC runs like crap. I mean even if I didn't played with ultra settings on 750TI, the performance was stable but that's not the case with the 1060.
I will take BF1 for example, even if I use the lowest settings I can't get a stable 60 fps, barrely reaching 60 fps. I know that my fx6300 will bottleneck the GPU but having lower performance than before is not ok, I've also seen guys on youtube playing BF1 or GTA 5 with the same specs but with a much more higher fps rate than me.

PC Specs:
2x4 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz (one is actually 1866 but lowered it to 1600)
Asus m5a97 plus
fx6300 3,5GHz (4.1 with Turbo On) + DeepCool Gamax 300
1xSSD 120GB
1x1TB HDD
400W FSP PSU 80% efficiency
1xBENQ monitor with 16:10 aspect ratio (1680x1050 max resolution) connected to the GPU via a VGA to DisplayPort adapter
Windows 8.1 x64 (I had W10 but the performance was the same, I downgraded just to check it)
Latest Nvidia Driver

What I have tried so far:
- messing with Nvidia Control Panel settings (I would need some help settings this if anyone knows the exact settings to help in this situation)
- using Nvidia DSR
- OC'ing the cpu to a stable 4.1 GHz with the default voltage (I've rested to default now)
- changing different settings in BIOS (like Cool'n'Quite, PCIE Spectrum etc.)
- I've updated the BIOS version to the latest one
- running Prime95 and Furmark at the same time to check if the PSU can handle it in full load (no issues here)
- benchmark with Firestrike and Uniengine Superposition (12098 graphic score in Firestrike and 8032 in Superposition on 1080p Medium settings)

I do know what bottlenecking is and I'm really sure that this is not the case here, there is something else going on. Maybe something I'm missing, some settings or whatever but I'm very frustrated with the situation so PLEASE HELP!

Solution
I would upgrade that PSU asap. Then maybe you could overclock Cpu to reduce some kind of bottleneck. Also BF1 is one of newer games that requires 16gb ram.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

at your low resolution the gpu upgrade was wasted because your cpu is the bottleneck, it is too slow to keep up thus limiting your fps

you should not be doing any overclocking on that power supply

it is under powered for your setup

so need to get that taken care of first

you should also monitor cpu temps while playing

did you make sure to completely wipe out the old drivers before swapping cards?