Poor performance from a Zotac GTX1080 Mini

Oct 1, 2018
Hello everyone,

I just replaced my old EVGA GTX970 with a Zotac GTX1080 mini. I have a microATX case and thought the size would be perfect.

I checked on pcpartpicker for compatibility issues with my CPU and motherboard and it all looked fine. So I just hooked it up and ran some benchmarks in AC Origins and am getting way worse results.

Read up on some posts here then found the Bottlenecking guide (admittedly, should have done that way earlier I guess but I've been out of the PC zone for a while now) and I just want to confirm whether I understood correctly:

I have an i5-4460 on an MSI B85I. So my CPU is bottlenecking me here? Would there be a point in trying to overclock the CPU or should I just go for an upgrade as well?

Is there such a thing as motherboard bottlenecking? I'd rather not have to buy and replace every single thing here so maybe just go for a newer compatible CPU?

I know that my mobo's pretty old by now but pcpartpicker is showing some options. Shame they don't have a bottlenecking feature to their website...

Thanks!

Here's the benchmark results from ACO in case it helps.
https://imgur.com/a/ON8rF3P

Oct 1, 2018

ACO lets you limit framerate to either 30 or 60. But I essentially tested the same graphical settings between the 2 cards and I was definitely getting better results on the old 970. I looked at the bottlenecking chart again and cross-referenced the black CPUs there but none matched any of the CPUs that my mobo will take. So I guess I gotta build a whole new system here... :(