Question Poor performance in Cyberpunk after installing the latest updates ?

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
I have a pc comprising the following:

9400F,16gb ram,3060 ti

Even though the cpu is quite old,it still manages to run most games pretty well,including many of the recent releases.

However i have observed that in cyberpunk, after installing the recent updates ,the cpu utilization hits nearly 100% in the night city area, especially while driving (which rarely went above 80% earlier, when i had an older version of the game),which causes frequent FPS drops to the low 50s.

And in the dogtown area (introduced in the phantom liberty DLC),the game becomes extremely laggy (while driving) and absolutely unplayable for the most part,with the cpu hitting 100% utilization most of the time.

Are these FPS drops being caused by weak CPU performance? I had tested this game on another system having an i5 10400F with a RTX 3060-but there too the performance didn't improve all that much even though it had a somewhat better CPU.

Does the game require top of the line hardware to run smoothly,which makes most entry level systems (such as mine) irrelevant?Why has this game become so demanding lately?

Would upgrading to something like a 12400F or 13400F lead to improved performance and minimal FPS drops?Please advice.

(PS the game was tested on a mixture of medium and high settings,with crowd density set to medium at 1080p)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Does the game require top of the line hardware to run smoothly,which makes most entry level systems (such as mine) irrelevant?
Pretty much.

Why has this game become so demanding lately?
Bug fixes + better/fancier graphics = more resource demanding game.

(PS the game was tested on a mixture of medium and high settings,with crowd density set to medium at 1080p)
Put all graphical settings to their lowest and look if FPS increases. If it does, you're held back by your GPU. If FPS still doesn't increase, you're held back by your CPU, whereby better CPU gives more FPS.

If you have multiple monitors you can run hwinfo and watch the cpu and gpu loads and see if they give you a clue. There is a way with things like msi afterburner to overlay the data on a single monitor but I have not done that in years so I know no details on how to set it up.

I have not tried cyberpunk lately. My main gaming machine is a 13700k and 4090. I run at 4k with most setting maxed and no fake frame generation. It mostly look very nice but the average frame rate tends to be well under 60 and will get large spikes much lower in certain areas. The game still is a massive hog. Maybe it is still 5 years too early for technology but I suspect it also has to do with poor coding .

Reactions: Dadrian Daedalus

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
i think its being held back by my old cpu. Is it worthwhile to upgrade to a 13th/14th gen i5 type cpu now or wait for 15th gen to become available?

Heard somewhere that 15th gen cpus will have higher core counts than their older counterparts with no support for Hyperthreading.Will those be significantly more powerful than the current gen i5/i7 cpus?

Btw any ideas as to when intel's 15th gen might launch?

Mar 21, 2024
Make sure to update GPU drivers as CD Project Red closely works with NVIDIA with graphics tech and some of their updates include improvements through new gpu driver versions.

Another thing is if an update to the game affects graphics it is likely that some or all graphic settings get set to their default values so re-check those.

They did an update a while back that makes the game better multithreaded, so it actually starts using 6+ cores. Coupled with how old the CPU is, it's likely the CPU is no longer able to keep up with the demands the game wants.

Heard somewhere that 15th gen cpus will have higher core counts than their older counterparts with no support for Hyperthreading.Will those be significantly more powerful than the current gen i5/i7 cpus?

Btw any ideas as to when intel's 15th gen might launch?
It's likely Hyperthreading won't go away any time soon, even with all the security hubbub going around. Unless you're some multi-billion dollar company or person, nobody's going to exploit these vulnerabilities to go after you. It's much easier to just send you a scary email saying you've been hacked and you should send money to a BTC address.

As for when it's release, nobody has a hard date. People point to the end of this year into the next.

Reactions: DeltaCape