Poor performance in Windows 7 and various games on high end pc

maverick_adam

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
As the title states, I am having very poor performance in windows 7 and in various games. My specs are the following:

Intel i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz
Gigabyte X58-USB3 Mobo
Noctua DH-14 cooler
8 GB Gskill RipJaw DD3 1333 RAM
Msi Geforce GTX 770 2GB
Kingston 120gb SSDNow v300 ssd
500 GB Western Digital Caviar Black
650W Antec PSU

Windows 7 is laggy opening windows and programs, Chrome is really laggy/stuttering, cs:go is stuttering and fps is often around 70-80. Huge lag/stutter when opening menus in cs:go as well.

Things I've tried:
I have installed a fresh copy of windows 7 on both my SSD, and my Western Digital HD, to see if it was the ssd causing issues, but both have the same problem. I have installed the latest chipset drivers for my mobo. My video card drivers are completely up to date and the settings are what most suggest for that card. I even tried popping in my old gtx-460 to see if it was a video card issue, and the gtx-460 has the same problem. I have tried running in both AHCI mode and IDE mode, both have the issue. I have reset my bios/cmos to failsafe and optimized settings which didn't help. My CPU temperature is pretty normal (30 degrees idle). There is no processes or services hogging the cpu or ram.

I am completely out of ideas here and really hope someone out there has any ideas? The only thing I can think of is CPU/PSU but I really don't know how to verify that. I know the specs aren't totally high end, but I really don't think I should be having issues like this. Any help is very much appreciated at this point. Thanks in advance!

maverick_adam

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

Thank you SO SO SO much! I have been pulling my hair out with this for a week. I am not sure if it was that solution or the windows 7 service pack that got installed, but one of the two worked. I can't thank you enough for finding that!