Question Poor performance on a really good computer - tried everything I could find online

Apr 26, 2019
Ok, let me start off by saying that I've been trying to fix this for a couple of months now. I've had this computer since October 2017 and I am not really happy with how it (under)performs.

I have Ryzen 7 1700X, GTX 1080 Gaming X, 1x16 GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (the yellow one), Asus X370 Gaming X motherboard, 256 GB WD Black PCIe SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDWD120 and a Corsair CX650 PSU.
I have a double moniter setup with a Dell P2417H, which I use as my main monitor, and an older Samsung SyncMaster 226BW, on which I keep stuff like discord and task manager.
The CPU is clocked at 3.4 GHz, RAM is at 2134MHz, and the GPU is set to factory settings

This is the first time I'm posting on any forum because until now I had some hope that I could fix it and I used tips from many different forums every other day.

When gaming the peak usage of both, my CPU and my GPU is 50%, with the GPU hanging in at 30% most of the time and the CPU at 40%, RAM peaks at 13 GB out of 16.
Some games play well (Rainbow Six, Apex Legends, CoD BO2, Fortnite, BF 1, BF 3, BF 4), keeping up at least 90-100 FPS no matter what settings I throw at the PC (I mostly play at 1080p, low detail, high anti aliasing, but even at the highest settings, it doesn't go below 70).
On the other hand, many games perform very badly and there are 2 in particular which I play a lot and have tried many thing to fix them:
a) Rust - I play at the lowest settings (the super potato preset)and it doesn't go above 65 FPS. It is around 60 FPS when I start and drops to a stable 40 FPS after 10 - 15 mins of playtime, for no apparent reason. It is on ~35% GPU usage, ~40% CPU usage and uses 12 GB of RAM (this is constantly the same and a flat line whenever I look at the task manager)
b) GTA V - stays on 50 FPS, with a very jittery/choppy feel to it. The GPU is at 25-30%, CPU at 30%, RAM at 8/9 GB

So far, I've tried reinstalling many different versions of Windows 10 (from the 1501 build up until the 1809 build I have right now).
Here's what I can think of and have tried so far:
-all sorts of power management options; the PC is in Performance Mode, and specific things I've changed were: "HDD loses power after: never", "GPU/PCIe power management: off"
-in NVIDIA Control Panel - I set my GPU as the PhysX processor, set the Power management mode to maximum performance and enabled Threaded optimization
-I updated both my GPU and my motherboard BIOS to the latest drivers
-the temperatures on both the CPU and GPU are ok
-somewhere I found that the issue could be in the usage of the HDD/SSD, which I've checked and it's under 10% after loading in and while playing

I am feeling really hopeless and would appreciate any help I could get

EDIT / P.S.: an anomaly I've noticed in Rust: I usually play at lowest settings and if I switch to the highest settings in the menu, I gain a temporary FPS boost, where the game runs at 75-80 fps for 10 minutes and then proceeds to go back to the 40 fps, where it stays no matter how I change the settings.

Apr 26, 2019
Ok, let me start off by saying that I've been trying to fix this for a couple of months now. I've had this computer since October 2017 and I am not really happy with how it (under)performs.

I have Ryzen 7 1700X, GTX 1080 Gaming X, 1x16 GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (the yellow one), Asus X370 Gaming X motherboard, 256 GB WD Black PCIe SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDWD120 and a Corsair CX650 PSU.
I have a double moniter setup with a Dell P2417H, which I use as my main monitor, and an older Samsung SyncMaster 226BW, on which I keep stuff like discord and task manager.
The CPU is clocked at 3.4 GHz, RAM is at 2134MHz, and the GPU is set to factory settings

This is the first time I'm posting on any forum because until now I had some hope that I could fix it and I used tips from many different forums every other day.

When gaming the peak usage of both, my CPU and my GPU is 50%, with the GPU hanging in at 30% most of the time and the CPU at 40%, RAM peaks at 13 GB out of 16.
Some games play well (Rainbow Six, Apex Legends, CoD BO2, Fortnite, BF 1, BF 3, BF 4), keeping up at least 90-100 FPS no matter what settings I throw at the PC (I mostly play at 1080p, low detail, high anti aliasing, but even at the highest settings, it doesn't go below 70).
On the other hand, many games perform very badly and there are 2 in particular which I play a lot and have tried many thing to fix them:
a) Rust - I play at the lowest settings (the super potato preset)and it doesn't go above 65 FPS. It is around 60 FPS when I start and drops to a stable 40 FPS after 10 - 15 mins of playtime, for no apparent reason. It is on ~35% GPU usage, ~40% CPU usage and uses 12 GB of RAM (this is constantly the same and a flat line whenever I look at the task manager)
b) GTA V - stays on 50 FPS, with a very jittery/choppy feel to it. The GPU is at 25-30%, CPU at 30%, RAM at 8/9 GB

So far, I've tried reinstalling many different versions of Windows 10 (from the 1501 build up until the 1809 build I have right now).
Here's what I can think of and have tried so far:
-all sorts of power management options; the PC is in Performance Mode, and specific things I've changed were: "HDD loses power after: never", "GPU/PCIe power management: off"
-in NVIDIA Control Panel - I set my GPU as the PhysX processor, set the Power management mode to maximum performance and enabled Threaded optimization
-I updated both my GPU and my motherboard BIOS to the latest drivers
-the temperatures on both the CPU and GPU are ok
-somewhere I found that the issue could be in the usage of the HDD/SSD, which I've checked and it's under 10% after loading in and while playing

I am feeling really hopeless and would appreciate any help I could get

EDIT / P.S.: an anomaly I've noticed in Rust: I usually play at lowest settings and if I switch to the highest settings in the menu, I gain a temporary FPS boost, where the game runs at 75-80 fps for 10 minutes and then proceeds to go back to the 40 fps, where it stays no matter how I change the settings.
Have you checked latency on your computer to make sure it's not the internet tried to see if they only do this well online?

Ok, thanks for the help. I will see if there is any other way as I'm not ready to buy new ram rn.
Ok. Good luck!

It's funny when someone comes to a forum asking for help to a 3 month old problem. And then they get the answer but they don't want to do it. Look around this and many other forums and you will see that Ryzen platforms benefit greatly from fast, dual channel RAM.

Mark this thread as solved.