Question poor performance with a "decent" setup

Jul 19, 2022
I have been having problems with my setup for several years now, I find that my performance are very poor and I have never found a solution after browsing hundreds of forums and watching so many videos.

CPU: R7 2700x
GPU: MSI RTX 2060 Super
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
RAM: 2 x 16 GB 2933Mhz (XMP enabled)
PSU: Antec EA650G PRO (650 W)
Monitor: BENQ XL2411P (144hz)
Cooler: Antec Neptune 240

I play mainly Cod, LoL and Fortnite. On fortnite I manage to have good fps and stay around 144 but I have huge freezes that sometimes go down to 30 fps, it's sometimes unplayable and the game is not fluid at all.

On LoL, I hardly reach 130-144 fps and I often turn around 100-110, in fight it's 80-90 max.

On Cod, for example Cold War or Vanguard, I really can't get to 144 fps and again the game is not smooth at all.

I know my setup is getting a bit old but I think it should be able to run these games smoothly but correct me if I'm wrong.

I've already tried reinstalling windows, reinstalling the GPU drivers, resetting the bios (my bios is up to date), cleaning the computer, virus scan, performance optimization,. I've also noticed that lowering the graphics quality of games doesn't impact my fps at all, I don't know if that means anything.

My temperatures are good and I never exceed 50-60°C in games, same for gpu and cpu usage it stays strangely low (20-30%). I don't know what to do anymore and if someone has any idea, I'm interested.

If you need any other info, screenshots,... I'll do whatever it takes.

Thanks in advance

https://ibb.co/YjN8Yfh (Cinebench made just now)
https://ibb.co/Byw9tzh (3DMark TimeSpy)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing error codes, warnings, or even informational events related to the performance drops.

= = = =

There are three tools available to help you observe your systems performance:

Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free);

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Use all three tools but use only one tool at a time.

The objective being to gain an understanding of what your system is doing (or trying to do) when performance drops.

Boot up, open Task Manager, expand as necessary and drag the window to one side or the other in order to watch.

Let the system idle and let everything stabilize. What what is being used, to what extent (%), and by what.

Then try doing some browsing or work while continuing to observe. Change only one thing at a time and allow time between changes.

Likewise play a game or two: First a game that does not cause problems followed by a game that does have problems.

Remember you are not playing to win per se. Play as you normally do but be ready to accept some loss if the problem occurs.

Use the same method via Resource Monitor or Process Explorer.

There is no rush and all of the tools permit some filtering and/or sorting.

It will take a bit of time and effort to learn the tools so just be patient with that learning curve.

Very good chance that you will discover some app, utility, process, etc. that is not as expected - if expected at all.

Do not start immediately deleting things or making mass configuration changes. Be methodical and go one step at a time.

Keep notes of what you find and/or change while trouble shooting. Just in case you need to go back to look again or undo something.

Lastly, as should always be being done, ensure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to locations off of the problem computer.

Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Reactions: stylaxz
Jul 19, 2022
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing error codes, warnings, or even informational events related to the performance drops.

= = = =

There are three tools available to help you observe your systems performance:

Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free);

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Use all three tools but use only one tool at a time.

The objective being to gain an understanding of what your system is doing (or trying to do) when performance drops.

Boot up, open Task Manager, expand as necessary and drag the window to one side or the other in order to watch.

Let the system idle and let everything stabilize. What what is being used, to what extent (%), and by what.

Then try doing some browsing or work while continuing to observe. Change only one thing at a time and allow time between changes.

Likewise play a game or two: First a game that does not cause problems followed by a game that does have problems.

Remember you are not playing to win per se. Play as you normally do but be ready to accept some loss if the problem occurs.

Use the same method via Resource Monitor or Process Explorer.

There is no rush and all of the tools permit some filtering and/or sorting.

It will take a bit of time and effort to learn the tools so just be patient with that learning curve.

Very good chance that you will discover some app, utility, process, etc. that is not as expected - if expected at all.

Do not start immediately deleting things or making mass configuration changes. Be methodical and go one step at a time.

Keep notes of what you find and/or change while trouble shooting. Just in case you need to go back to look again or undo something.

Lastly, as should always be being done, ensure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to locations off of the problem computer.

Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.
Thanks for all these tips, I will try to familiarize myself with these tools and pay attention to them when I play. I just played a bit and looked at the event viewer but didn't see anything wrong yet. I will come back to you if I see any recurring anomalies.

Jul 25, 2022
I have a AMD 3600x and Rtx 2070 I had stutter problems to, heres some things that i have done to COMPLETLEY FIX this issue (well atleast 85-95%). I have made it so that the fixes that are most likely to fix stuttering to be on the top part of the list :

if you like high shadows you can save some performance by setting post processing to medium/low. and effects on medium/low. setting view distance to medium. I Reccomend Medium or High textures. I will reconsider higher settings once fortnite has been patched to fix performance issues.

setting nvidia reflex to on instead of on+boost, you can also try off (i use off)!, my theory is that some processors need a larger buffer to work without stutters on fortnite particularly ryzen but also intel. i have read many cases on this. I used to reccomend setting fortnite to high priority in taskmanager, however its been patched out which is very sad, it would have given 1-10 fps, but i do reccomend downloading process lasso which should gain you like 1-5fps, more details later in guide.
I will reconsider higher nvidia reflex settings once fortnite has been patched to fix performance issues.

find easy anti cheat in c/programs/easyanticheat and run the repair, this can make a huge difference.

disable fullscreen optimizations in c/pograms/epicgames/fortnite.exe

in nvidia(i m unsure for amd), set shader cache size to unlimited or 100gb, the default size is 4gb which is really small!!! shader cache is when the computer tries to store instructions on how to render the game. Most stutters in games occur under shader caching. This one can make a huge difference.

get the program in this link and make sure to run it everytime you reboot, just use it to make sure that it is 1ms, 0,500ms can stutter a bit but has highest performance, if its not at 1ms youtube search "disable hpet cmd", try both settings and see what you like! View: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/41sjz1/timer_resolution_fixed_fps_drops/

Anti virus like kaspersky, norton and bitdefender have game modes that offfer tiny fps boosts 0.5-10fps, kaspersky being most efficent, but if you like Windows Defender just use Windows defender. Be aware that kaspersky will corrupt mining crypto mining software if you have it. in one test CS GO at low settings, they managed 360fps with kaspersky, and 350fps with windows defender.

Limit the fortnite fps to 60 or 120+, you can make a custom config in %appdata%local/fortnite, I reccomend trying 60, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100, 105, 110, 115fps as your limit. RivaTuner has better frametimes/less stutters however it ads 11ms lag at 120fps which is not that much if your optimized good otherwise !!You should limit your fps in someway to reduce stutters!! make sure it reaches the frame limit 90% of the time or better for minimal stutter!!!! recently i have been having black screen bugs with my 4790k gtx 1060 rig, and the only solution for me was to limit 85fps in riva tuner, cant do it in fortnite config file as it caused black screen, but worked DAYS AGO (update, i have fixed the black screen issue by disabling auto turn off screen after 15 minutes in battery/power settings, it caused an issue in my windows build making it black screen in games after first activation).
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W66pTe8YM2s

experiment by putting your mouse in a different usb, usually the usbs right next to the ps/2 plug are configured to be faster but really just try different plugs (google ps/2 port), some people say setting your mouse to 500hz can make a difference on stutters but it did not for me. Right now i m experimenting with having the mouse usb plugged closest to the ps/2 usb hub, and my keyboard on a seperate to avoid keyboard from affecting the same usb hub that the mouse is being used on, i have no idea if it is improving anything.

google fortnite dx12 exploit protection fix, (common fix for dx12 games)

keep performance monitors like afterburner off as it can take 1-3fps however you want to make sure that your settings apply with windows startup.

get chipset drivers for cpu (its basically your cpu driver)

dlss scaling can gain you a fair amount of performance on rtx cards, and looks particularly good in 1440p 50-66%, 1080p 66% also looks decent.

disable high resolution textures in epic games launcher fortnite settings, however i prefer it on, but if you want minimal stutters this one can make a huge difference on like a gt1030 or gtx 660 system

remember to use DDU for every nvidia or amd gpu driver you install, your gonna want to do this in offline mode and plug ur ethernet out, to prevent pc from auto installing a crappy driver before you install the driver your gonna actually use

get drivers for SSD if possible

enable process lasso smart trim, performance mode and probalance, exclude games like fortnite from probalance, do this by right clicking fortnite in process lasso and a menu should pop up

disable high precision event timer in device manager and in bios if possible (not possible on asus motherboards) in bios its called Hpet, youtube search "disable hpet cmd" as well

install a lite version of windows 11>10 or tinker manually for 2 days with a windows debloat/optimizing guide, you can also get razer cortex and the program will basically do it for you but you will get slighly more fps from a custom lite OS (1-9fps maybe?).
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwNAa_OdP1w

make a custom nvidia profile for fortnite with very high performance modifications (google a guide or if your experienced u can just tinker yourself)
make sure nvidia scaling is set to Display>Gpu as it will make the game have slightly less input lag, newer cards do have excellent gpu scaling though (good for playing 900p scaled to 1080p for an example but it wont affect dsr scaling). Also image scaling (which requires gpu scaling) goes very well with temporal aliasing. For me though i just use fast anti aliasing, it makes 1080p look very sharp. Also reccomend DLSS for best performance if you dont have any problems with the look, it can looks slightly blurry at 1080p 66% but 1440p 50% looks great.

reset modem, router and other internet devices, can impact online games.

In power management set pc power to process lasso bitsum highest performance, if you experience more stutters roll back to ryzen highest performance or high performance for Intel CPUS. Experiment with what works best. Heck even try

update to latest bios

follow a bios debloat/optimizing guide

disable steam while playing fortnite as it take some minor performance (1-2fps), you can also disable it from auto turning on in task manager in startup options

getting fastest possible ram for your settup ( i have heard some stutter removal success stories from this)

keep in mind that fortnite needs to shader cache a lot so it will stutter a lot the first 10 games you do after a fortnite patch or fresh install. you can mitigate this somewhat by landing in somewhat the same area

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022
I have a AMD 3600x and Rtx 2070 I had stutter problems to, heres some things that i have done to COMPLETLEY FIX this issue (well atleast 80-90%). I have made it so that the fixes that are most likely to fix stuttering to be on the top part of the list :

if you like high shadows you can save some performance by setting post processing to medium/low. and effects on medium. setting view distance to medium. I Reccomend Medium or High textures.

setting nvidia reflex to on instead of on+boost, you can also try off!, my theory is that some processors need a larger buffer to work without stutters on fortnite particularly ryzen but also intel. i have read many cases on this.
set priority to high on fortnite in taskmanager, if you get a program called process lasso you can automate this (its basically an advanced version of task manager with extra performance options)

find easy anti cheat in c/programs/easyanticheat and run the repair, this can make a huge difference.

get the program in this link and make sure to run it everytime you reboot View: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/41sjz1/timer_resolution_fixed_fps_drops/

kaspersky is an anti virus that has the best virus protection and !!!game mode!!!, tests in CS GO showed 10fps improvement 350->360ish fps compared to other antiviruses with game modes, if you dont like kaspersky you can try norton or bitdefender, which also interfere with games minimally and give a small boost in fps

Limit the fortnite fps to 120+ or you can make a custom frame limit in %appdata%local/fortnite and find the config file, I reccomend trying 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100, 105, 110, 115fps as your limit. you can also use RivaTuner if you like better frametimes/less stutters however it ads 11ms lag at 120fps and probably 5.5ms at 240fps !!You should limit your fps in someway to reduce stutters!! make sure it reaches the frame limit 90% of the time or better for minimal stutter!!!!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W66pTe8YM2s

experiment by putting your mouse in a different usb, usually the usbs right next to the ps/2 plug are configured to be faster but really just try different plugs (google ps/2 port), some people say setting your mouse to 500hz can make a difference on stutters but it did not for me. Right now i m experimenting with having the mouse usb plugged closest to the ps/2 usb hub, and my keyboard on a seperate to avoid keyboard from affecting the same usb hub that the mouse is being used on, i have no idea if it is improving anything.

google fortnite dx12 exploit protection fix, (common fix for dx12 games)

keep performance monitors like afterburner off as it can take 1-3fps however you want to make sure that your settings apply with windows startup.

get chipset drivers for cpu (its basically your cpu driver)

dlss scaling can gain you a fair amount of performance on rtx cards

disable high resolution textures in epic games launcher fortnite settings, however i prefer it on

remember to use DDU for every nvidia or amd gpu driver you install, your gonna want to do this in offline mode and plug ur ethernet out, to prevent pc from auto installing a crappy driver before you install the driver your gonna actually use

get drivers for SSD if possible

enable process lasso smart trim,performance mode and probalance

disable high precision event timer in device manager and in bios if possible (not possible on asus motherboards) in bios its called Hpet

install a lite version of windows 11>10 or tinker manually for 2 days with a windows debloat/optimizing guide, you can also get razer cortex and the program will basically do it for you but you will get more fps from a custom lite OS

make a custom nvidia profile for fortnite with very high performance modifications (google a guide or if your experienced u can just tinker yourself)
make sure nvidia scaling is set to Display>Gpu as it will make the game have slightly less input lag, newer cards do have excellent gpu scaling though (good for playing 900p scaled to 1080p for an example but it wont affect dsr scaling). Also image scaling (which requires gpu scaling) goes very well with temporal aliasing

reset modem, router and other internet devices, can impact online games.

In power management set pc power to process lasso bitsum highest performance

update to latest bios

follow a bios debloat/optimizing guide

disable steam while playing fortnite as it take some minor performance (1-2fps), you can also disable it from auto turning on in task manager in startup options

getting fastest possible ram for your settup ( i have heard some stutter removal success stories from this)

keep in mind that fortnite needs to shader cache a lot so it will stutter a lot the first 10 games you do after a fortnite patch or fresh install. you can mitigate this somewhat by landing in somewhat the same area
Huge thank you for your time and your tips, I will test it as soon as possible

TRENDING THREADS