Question Poor performance with a GTX 2080 Ti ?

feindre

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Hi all, looking for some help troubleshooting performance issues with my new second-hand HTPC/gaming pc. The system has a 2080 TI and is cooled w/ a custom loop (on the CPU and GPU) but it's barely managing a VERY shaky 50ish FPS at 1080p on Time Spy. I've tried everything I can think of to increase the performance but I've run out of ideas. I've updated the mb to the latest BIOS and tried running 3Dmark on fresh installs of Win 11 AND Win 10, as well as used Ryzen Master and MSI Afterburner to tweak the settings/clocks, but nothing seems to help. GPU Temps seem to reach a stable maximum of about 69c under load. It seems like it's just a bad card but maybe I'm missing something? Thanks!

Last benchmark: View: https://imgur.com/a/yQgnQPx

Specs:
CPU: AMD RYZEN 9 3900X
MB: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS MASTER
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Royal DDR4-3200 CL16-18-18-38 1.35V
32GB (2x16GB)
GPU: ASUS Turbo GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM1000x
Storage: Inland Premium 1TB

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
fresh installs of Win 11 AND Win 10,
Where did you source the installers for the OS?

Did you manually install all relevant drivers for your build in an elevated command without the OS downloading drivers for your platform? You've stated the rig to be second hand, was it used for mining at any point of it's useful life before ending up in your hands?

feindre

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Please can you post CPU-Z "memory"?

Sorry I'm not sure I understand the question. The RAM is actually this set (the ugliest RAM I've ever seen :)): https://www.gskill.com/product/165/299/1552463037/F4-3200C16D-32GTRS

fresh installs of Win 11 AND Win 10,
Where did you source the installers for the OS?

Did you manually install all relevant drivers for your build in an elevated command without the OS downloading drivers for your platform? You've stated the rig to be second hand, was it used for mining at any point of it's useful life before ending up in your hands?

I downloaded the OS's from microsoft.com. Yes I manually installed all drivers. I bought this PC from a friend who was using it as a streaming PC, it was never used for mining AFAIK.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Graphics score jumped off a cliff. Cpu score is about where it should be.

GPU Temps seem to reach a stable maximum of about 69c under load.
That's kinda high for custom loop, isn't it?
Gpu core temperature isn't the only parameter to examine. There's also gpu hot spot, memory junction, as well as Performance Limit Reason.
You can use HWINFO(sensors only) or Gpu-Z(sensors tab). Some models don't report memory junction though.

feindre

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Graphics score jumped off a cliff. Cpu score is about where it should be.

That's kinda high for custom loop, isn't it?
Gpu core temperature isn't the only parameter to examine. There's also gpu hot spot, memory junction, as well as Performance Limit Reason.
You can use HWINFO(sensors only) or Gpu-Z(sensors tab). Some models don't report memory junction though.

You're right, I'll try checking the other temps. I've never had a custom loop before (only AIOs) but this one IS a little janky. Unfortunately he tossed the shroud and backplate so I don't have a way to replace the water block..

I simply wanted to check, at what speed the RAM really is running.

Do you not know cpu-z? Then simply google for it.

Ok I'll check it out and reply shortly, thanks.