Question Poor performance with GTX 1080

Zack T

Reputable
May 19, 2017
So I upgraded from a GTX 1070 to a GTX 1080 about a week and a half ago. I thought it'd be a straight forward increase in power, and my 1070 always worked really well for me. However, I've been experiencing results that are less than what the 1070 gave me.

Fallout 4 takes forever to load and doesn't hold up over 60 FPS, World of Warcraft requires me to lower my graphics settings to maintain 60 FPS.

I've got the latest NVidia Drivers, I did a fresh install of Windows 10, I've even updated my MOBO's Bios just to see if that'd help.

I've ran benchmarks using PassMark's Performance test and Cinebench. My CPU tests fine on those, but my performance numbers for my 1080 are coming out more like it's an RX 580 or a GTX 1060 6GB. I'm not sure what the problem is.

I thought maybe my resolution might have something to do with it based on what I read elsewhere, I have weird monitor setups. I use a Philips 32 inch 1080p TV as my primary monitor and I just recently got an HP w2207h from Facebook Marketplace as a secondary monitor (I don't ever use it for games though). My Philips runs on resolution of 1768 x 992 with a 30Hz refresh rate.

Here's my system specs.

AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600x (Overclocked to 3.9 GHZ Stable)

16GB (2x8) G.Skillz Ripjaws V Series 3000 MHZ Ram

ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 K4 Gaming Motherboard

CoolerMaster Hyper Evo 212 CPU Cooler

Western Digital 250GB 2.5 SSD

SeaGate Barracuda 1TB HD

Rosewill Glacier 500W Fully Modular Power Supply

Zotac GTX 1080 AMP Extreme Graphics Card

DIY-PC 48BK Computer Case - Tiny case but it fits in there

Zack T

Reputable
May 19, 2017
Card is used, but still under warranty. Barely used. No temp issues, no power usage issues. I am noticing that even when I'm in areas of games that cause drops in frames, my GPU usage doesn't seem to want to go above 25% according to firestorm (the Zotac version of MSI Afterburner).

Zack T

Reputable
May 19, 2017
OOV8UmC.gif
DFfzC07.gif

I'm not sure how to check for mining using this.

That's the usage in a high stress area of World Of Warcraft. It's giving me 45 to 50 FPS but it won't go any higher than 32% GPU Load and other figures you see there. It doesn't seem like it's having power or temp issues, right?

Zack T

Reputable
May 19, 2017
Tried some other misc steps today - Heard about Xbox causing problems with a setting so I tried to mess with that, but I guess that was old news.

Adjusted power settings in NVidia Control Panel and in my Computer Settings but it made no difference.

Zack T

Reputable
May 19, 2017
CPU load wasn't very high. 500W should be enough, it wasn't stuttering or anything.

I dunno. I give up. Done everything there is to do with the thing and I just can't get it to perform right, so I reinstalled my 1070 and I'm gonna just sell this 1080. I don't think there's anything wrong with the card itself, I think it just doesn't like my system for whatever reason.

Thank you for trying to help me.