Question Poor RTX 3080 performance

May 1, 2022
Asus PRIME Z490-A Performance Results - UserBenchmark

Upgraded GPU from a GTX 980 to a RTX 3080 and get around 30-40 fps in games whatever video settings I use. DDU video drivers and reinstall video drivers, clean installed windows 11 like other people recommended yet this has not solved the problem. Windows is also acting strange since the upgrade. It started after I put the new GPU in, so I did a clean install(I've done a clean install 3x) but the issues have remained. BSOD, memory management and system service exception errors. Also won't install new update KB5012643 error code 0x80070002. Windows issues are the same with the GTX 980 as well. Assumed it was a faulty card since it was bought second hand but the errors are present with the 980 when I reinstall that.

guru7of9

Reputable
Jun 1, 2018
Asus PRIME Z490-A Performance Results - UserBenchmark

Upgraded GPU from a GTX 980 to a RTX 3080 and get around 30-40 fps in games whatever video settings I use. DDU video drivers and reinstall video drivers, clean installed windows 11 like other people recommended yet this has not solved the problem. Windows is also acting strange since the upgrade. It started after I put the new GPU in, so I did a clean install(I've done a clean install 3x) but the issues have remained. BSOD, memory management and system service exception errors. Also won't install new update KB5012643 error code 0x80070002. Windows issues are the same with the GTX 980 as well. Assumed it was a faulty card since it was bought second hand but the errors are present with the 980 when I reinstall that.
The new 2nd hand RTX 3080 card hasn't damaged your current system has it ?
To test it you would need to strip it back to bare minimum and only use known good working parts to narrow down any faulty hardware.
Make sure ram is seated properly!
With your reinstallations did you use the gtx980 installed and not the rtx3080 and still got all sorts of problems ? Or did you have rtx3080 installed then swapped gtx980 into it?
If you had gtx980 from start and giving errors then sounds like faulty hard ware .

shemsureshot

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
Could it be a fault with the power supply if the same problem is happening to both GPU’s? Try checking all the cables (especially GPU power cables, change them if you can) etc and if possible try the GPU in another computer (assuming you don’t have a spare PSU). You could also try putting the GPU in a different slot on the motherboard to see if it’s that.

Last edited:
May 1, 2022
Could it be a fault with the power supply if the same problem is happening to both GPU’s? Try checking all the cables (especially GPU power cables, change them if you can) etc and if possible try the GPU in another computer (assuming you don’t have a spare PSU). You could also try putting the GPU in a different slot on the motherboard to see if it’s that.

Put the 980 back in, clean install windows, DDU and reinstalled drivers. Ran user benchmark and the 980 GPU performed as expected and actually better in Furmark than the RTX 3080. Windows issues were resolved. Reinstalled RTX 3080 User benchmark is again poor and around the same as the results posted above, windows issues came back. Furmark score is less than GTX 980. Did DDU, clean windows install, RTX 3080 performance is still bad and windows issues have come back.

Seems to be just the RTX 3080 causing problems. Could it really be faulty? Monitors display image and i can play games but the performance is just shocking compared to even the 980. Tried different mb slots but nothing changed, switching power cables didn't change anything. I'm thinking I'll probably take the card back to the store, but is there no settings that could need changing, BIOS settings, Nvidia control panel setting etc? Thanks for the reply anyway.

It would be good to get a full system spec first.

Saying that, reset your BIOS to 'optimised defaults'. Re-instal primary BIOS drivers, latest versions. Make sure your BIOS settings especially for GPU are set correctly.

what PSU are you using as the RTX 3080 can suck down north of 320w alone at full load and that's just base, the better models and overclocking can push that higher. No daisy chaining of GPU power cables, separate PCIe cables for power..

May 1, 2022
It would be good to get a full system spec first.

Saying that, reset your BIOS to 'optimised defaults'. Re-instal primary BIOS drivers, latest versions. Make sure your BIOS settings especially for GPU are set correctly.

what PSU are you using as the RTX 3080 can suck down north of 320w alone at full load and that's just base, the better models and overclocking can push that higher. No daisy chaining of GPU power cables, separate PCIe cables for power..

full systems specs are
CPU: Intel Core i5 10600K @ 4.10GHz
RAM: hyperx predator RGB 16GB DDR4 @3200 MHz
MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME Z490-A
GPU: Palit GeForce RTX™ 3080 GamingPro OC
Storage: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB
PSU: Corsair RM850x

I'm using two separate cables to power the GPU. I'll try the BIOS stuff to see if that tries anything.

May 1, 2022
Okay, good specs, no issues on the PSU side...I think this is a driver / config issue and associated to the update issue error code KB5012643 error code 0x80070002. There are some solutions online to this and hopefully others will jump in shortly:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqay7rOnYtg

Still seem to BSOD when trying to install. Either system service exception or memory management. It happens when the 3080 is installed. My monitors also randomly go black from time to time as well so there has to be something wrong with the GPU.