Question Poor streaming performance in an admittedly old mini PC. Any way to improve it?

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Hi, I have just inherited an old ZOTAC ZBOX Plus Nano XS AD11 mini PC. I've been trying streaming video. If I use 720 resolution on YouTube it works fine but anything more than that stutters. SImilarly if I use DiscoveryPlus (a streaming service) 1080 is unusable but lower resolutions will work after a short period of stuttering. I have better computers but I'd like to find a usef or this old machine.

It has 2Gb of memory, an AMD E-450 dual core CPU (1.6Hz) and in that a Radeon HD 6320 graphics chip as well as a 64Gb sata II msata drive.

I'm wondering if increasing the memory or switching to a sata III drive (a lot of swapping goes on) would help with the stuttering or is it that the CPU/graphics chip are just to old and feeble? Any suggestions or ideas about what to do with this old machine would be welcome.

Regards Steve

yeetbucket

Proper
Jan 14, 2021
You cannot stream with this. Did you really think you can stream 1080p with 2gb ram? I can't put it any nice than this

Edit: And with 2 cores as well??!?!?!?!??!
sorry try and sell pc

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
You cannot stream with this. Did you really think you can stream 1080p with 2gb ram? I can't put it any nice than this

Edit: And with 2 cores as well??!?!?!?!??!
sorry try and sell pc

Hi, Well it does work at lower resolutions and as I got it for free I'm not suffering any financial 'burn'. It's just a question of finding any use for it. Although as you say maybe selling it to someone who can find a use is the answer. The case lights up so it might make a colourfull doorstop.

Regards Steve

USAFRet

Titan
Changing the drive will not make a difference, except in capacity. mSATA and M.2 SATA both run on SATA III.
Same speed.
And even if it IS SATA II, that won't make a difference.

You're getting a lot of swapping to the drive due to the 2GB RAM.

Your limiting factors on this is the CPU and the RAM. And you can't change the CPU.

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Please don't attempt to pass that off on someone for any manner of realistic use. At this point it's probably best given to the recycle gawds.

Hi Yes you are right of course but recycling is off at the moment. All the recycling centres are shut due to the pandemic. I'll use the lockdown to think about a use however esoteric. It will give me something to think about while I'm waiting for things to improve.

Regards Steve

Reactions: punkncat