andrew.adams.as

Reputable
Jul 28, 2018
Hi everybody,

I just upgraded my CPU from an i7-7820X to an i9-10980XE after the i7 overheated following a failed AIO.

Now, I have massive issues with stability on my system. I run primarily 3ds Max for my work. On my previous system, I was able to multitask with no problems but now the viewport and UI in 3ds Max stutters constantly and freezes up while I am also not able to even watch a YouTube video at the same time. The system just lags massively!!

I have changed nothing except the CPU and AIO. I also did a CMOS Reset after changing the CPU. I have done no tweaking to CPU settings etc...

The system runs at 10% CPU Utilisation in normal operation, Max temp is 47 Degrees Centigrade under 100% CPU load (When rendering). Clock speed ramps up and down in a normal manner (up under rendering utilization). All drivers have been updated and BIOS is on the latest release. Stress tests are as expected.

My current system specs:
ROG Strix X299-e Gaming MB
64Gb DDR4 RAM
i9-10980XE CPU
Corsair AX1600i Power Supply (Overkill, I know. I want upgradeability at a later stage)
2x GTX 780 GPU's
3x SSD Hardrives
Running Windows 11

I really don't know what is going on and how to fix this. It is so frustrating, and honestly so disappointing! CPU works GREAT in renderings (Using Corona Renderer), but I can't multitask and 3ds Max is incredibly slow and laggy now.

I would really appreciate help and guidance!

Thanks!

You have to download and install at least bios 2002 for that motherboard to use your current cpu and you can update it in steps up to 3402. Make sure you have ME 11.12.86.1877 installed from same support page. ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING | ROG - Republic Of Gamers | ASUS USA And install Nvidia newest gpu drivers for your 780's, I recommend not installing Geforce Experience and setting my own 3d settings.

Solution

OMGiTxREALHASSAN

Reputable
Jun 28, 2019
Hi everybody,

I just upgraded my CPU from an i7-7820X to an i9-10980XE after the i7 overheated following a failed AIO.

Now, I have massive issues with stability on my system. I run primarily 3ds Max for my work. On my previous system, I was able to multitask with no problems but now the viewport and UI in 3ds Max stutters constantly and freezes up while I am also not able to even watch a YouTube video at the same time. The system just lags massively!!

I have changed nothing except the CPU and AIO. I also did a CMOS Reset after changing the CPU. I have done no tweaking to CPU settings etc...

The system runs at 10% CPU Utilisation in normal operation, Max temp is 47 Degrees Centigrade under 100% CPU load (When rendering). Clock speed ramps up and down in a normal manner (up under rendering utilization). All drivers have been updated and BIOS is on the latest release. Stress tests are as expected.

My current system specs:
ROG Strix X299-e Gaming MB
64Gb DDR4 RAM
i9-10980XE CPU
Corsair AX1600i Power Supply (Overkill, I know. I want upgradeability at a later stage)
2x GTX 780 GPU's
3x SSD Hardrives
Running Windows 11

I really don't know what is going on and how to fix this. It is so frustrating, and honestly so disappointing! CPU works GREAT in renderings (Using Corona Renderer), but I can't multitask and 3ds Max is incredibly slow and laggy now.

I would really appreciate help and guidance!

Thanks!
It doesn't seems there are any problema woth your HARDWARE but I could be wrong.

But I think windows 11 is the real culprit here, I also was using windows 11 from the insider build and it was running perfectly but since last month's update it started make my pc slow and drastically lowering my pc's performance and boot time even it makes my PC CRASH while doing nothing and freezes every now and then even my internet download and upload speed was also capped at 500 kbps. Now I'm going back to WINDOWS 10 , it's installing in the background while I'm typing this and hopefully it'll fix my problems.

andrew.adams.as

Reputable
Jul 28, 2018
Sorry I don't read word by word I try to get to heart of problem sorry for trying to help.
Sorry, my reply came across wrong - it was late. I appreciate the suggestion and the help! Unfortunately, the issues you suggested looking at had already been addressed. If you have any other thoughts I'd appreciate hearing them! Apologies for the tone of my reply earlier!

andrew.adams.as

Reputable
Jul 28, 2018
It doesn't seems there are any problema woth your HARDWARE but I could be wrong.

But I think windows 11 is the real culprit here, I also was using windows 11 from the insider build and it was running perfectly but since last month's update it started make my pc slow and drastically lowering my pc's performance and boot time even it makes my PC CRASH while doing nothing and freezes every now and then even my internet download and upload speed was also capped at 500 kbps. Now I'm going back to WINDOWS 10 , it's installing in the background while I'm typing this and hopefully it'll fix my problems.
Thanks, I was thinking that this might be a problem. Let me know how the rollback goes!

Sorry, my reply came across wrong - it was late. I appreciate the suggestion and the help! Unfortunately, the issues you suggested looking at had already been addressed. If you have any other thoughts I'd appreciate hearing them! Apologies for the tone of my reply earlier!
That's ok I'm usually not that sensitive. Honestly I read so many posts a day I try to skim and get to the problem. I think your gpu's may be the problem. Your cpu is crunching the numbers for you as needed, but your video seems to be the problem. Try using one gpu and see if it helps or makes it worse.

Reactions: andrew.adams.as

andrew.adams.as

Reputable
Jul 28, 2018
That's ok I'm usually not that sensitive. Honestly I read so many posts a day I try to skim and get to the problem. I think your gpu's may be the problem. Your cpu is crunching the numbers for you as needed, but your video seems to be the problem. Try using one gpu and see if it helps or makes it worse.
I was also wondering if that was a problem, that maybe there's also a bottleneck since the GPU's are so old. (Who knows when this global shortage will end, I've been waiting ages to try and get a chance to upgrade). I'll give this a try tomorrow, thanks!