[SOLVED] Poor wifi signal with a TPLINK wifi extender

novaen

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Hi

I am currently with BT in the uk using their smart hub 2 my plan is for the 150 Mb which i can get perfectly fine when using a wired connection down stairs. Up stairs i am using a tplink wifi extender but i only get about a 1/3rd the speed, would a third party router and wireless network card help to improve this much? If so could i get some recommendations please?

Many thanks for the help.

Solution
Hi

I am currently with BT in the uk using their smart hub 2 my plan is for the 150 Mb which i can get perfectly fine when using a wired connection down stairs. Up stairs i am using a tplink wifi extender but i only get about a 1/3rd the speed, would a third party router and wireless network card help to improve this much? If so could i get some recommendations please?

A wireless extender will cut performance in half with perfect signal. That is just the way WIFI extenders work. With a less than perfect signal between the extender and base, 1/3 performance is not unexpected.
You can get better performance using a pair of MoCA (ethernet over coax) adapters or a pair of powerline (ethernet over power...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi

A wireless extender will cut performance in half with perfect signal. That is just the way WIFI extenders work. With a less than perfect signal between the extender and base, 1/3 performance is not unexpected.
You can get better performance using a pair of MoCA (ethernet over coax) adapters or a pair of powerline (ethernet over power plugs) adapters. Either of those will be better than a WIFI extender. The best answer is to pull ethernet cable where you need connectivity.

Solution