Poor Wireless on New PC - Not the Network Card

neonomer

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
I have a new gaming PC (let's call it PC-A) with a TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 wireless network card. The connection will intermittently change between strong, poor and just drop all together. Regardless of the connection strength, I get very poor download speeds (0.5mpb down) with better upload speeds (2mb up). I am near the router.

I originally returned the card thinking it was bad, but the new network card (and the original stock card that came with the PC) is having the same poor experience.

So I tried swapping the card with another TP-Link card I have in a PC that sits 2 feet away from the non-working PC (call it PC-B). The connection on PC-B is strong and consistently gets 20mb down and 4mb up. It works great.

So when I put the card from PC-B in PC-A, the speed is again poor. However when I put the card from PC-A into PC-B, it works even better than the original -- ruling out that it is a network card issue.

So the card that works great in one PC doesn't work in the other PC. I have now tried 4 cards with PC-A with the same poor results.

This is a new PC with Windows 10 and all new equipment.

I've tried different drivers, etc. but am out of options to troubleshoot. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

neonomer

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
I updated the Bios and that seemed to help! Not getting the same speeds as the PC next to it, but there is an improvement (5mb vs 20mb the pc right next to it). That's up from 0.5 to 5mb

neonomer

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Oh I see. I didn't notice the chipset drivers because the site doesn't have any listed for Windows 10. There is a Windows 7 driver, which I downloaded and tried to install, but there was a warning message that says "this driver does not support this version operating system."

I guess I have to wait for a driver update to be released.

The board is an Asus M5A78L-M/USB3