[SOLVED] Poor YouTube performance on chrome and edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vexing1000

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
I recently upgraded my system to 32gb of RAM and I've been having some horrible YouTube playback on chrome and edge browser.

Chrome with hardware acceleration disabled has horrible scrubbing preview performance (slow to update preview) unless I'm in full screen mode (in which case the scrubbing preview is silky smooth). If I turn on hardware acceleration then chrome will drop nearly 10% frames and have stuttering issues.

Edge browser likewise has poor scrubbing performance but doesn't have the dropped frames issue.

Firefox has no issues whatsoever.

I've disabled all extensions and restarted the browser but the problem still persists. If anyone can help me out here I would be very grateful.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 2600 CPU
32 GB RAM
Gtx 1080ti

Ram is mismatched if that matters any.

Hello Vexing1000

Since the videos play well in Firefox, it is kind of irrelevant to suggest, but can you please confirm if you already tried updating the graphics driver, checking for Windows updates, and updating Google Chrome?

Please report back with the results and details to allow us to help you with a better solution.

Cheers!!

Vexing1000

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
I updated the graphics driver to the latest version and scrubbing performance increased significantly (but still not as good as Firefox) in chrome and drops only about 1% of frames now. No improvement on Edge whatsoever.

Firefox sees no change in performance, and performs noticeably better than Chrome and Edge when scrubbing video and switching in and out of full screen.

Out of curiosity I tried Opera and IE as well, and whilst neither browser dropped any frames they both had a very stuttery scrubbing preview.

Executor32

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
So some further research has revealed that the problem is due to monitor duplication.

This thread has more information and a link to a fix.
Thank you! I've been wracking my brain about this issue for months and this was exactly the cause of my problem. I had my screen duplicated to my TV so I could easily switch to playing games lying in bed if/when the urge struck me, so I tried switching my display settings to only output to my monitor and BAM, no more stuttering or dropped frames!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts